AZ - 2 day MEGA event, Feb 20th and 21st (DATE CHANGE)

Event Planning for official HXC Events and HXC Members gatherings

AZ - 2 day MEGA event, Feb 20th and 21st (DATE CHANGE)

Postby alrock » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:55 pm

Here we go! The first Arizona regional event to be held on Saturday, Feb 20th and Sunday the 21st. (Note: This is a change from the original 6th/7th date)

The initial plan is to run Charouleau Gap on Saturday the 20th and Crown King on Sunday the 21st. If there's interest I can do a Friday OR Monday run to Sedona but those trails max out at six trucks - there's just not room for more.

8 am, Sat February 20.
Starbucks at Greenfield Rd and US 60 (races going on at Firebird, would like to avoid that traffic). Coming from Phx, turn right off of exit, immediately turn left and cut through QT gas station. Recommend topping off at QT, then (if necessary) filling up after the trail.

We will be in Oracle about 10 am and will regroup at the Circle K, 2000 W American Ave, Oracle, AZ

Attendees:
Alrock
Jerry S.
MnstrH2
ces1946@aol.com
Hummer1
HoHummer

maybe:
wazzurx
3Hummers (from CHO)
H3Tbone

Charouleau Gap starts in Oracle, AZ

Sunday, Feb 21st
Sunflower Mine, NE of Phoenix on Highway 87
9:00 am at the Ft. McDowell Chevron, on Hwy 87 (Beeline), two miles north of Shea Blvd

(Killed - Crown King starts near Lake Pleasant, north and slightly west of Phoenix)

The Gap is a six to eight hour trail with up to two hours travel to/from the trail head from Phoenix. It's a long day but with a February run there should be good water crossings and lots of challenges.

Sunflower Mine is a great trail with varying obstacles. Rock gardens, creek beds, hill climbs and some moderate brush. About a 4 hour trail

Both trails - UCP, rocker protection and a rear locker are recommended but not required. Any stock Hummer can do this trail. Light carnage is possible, including rock rash on wheels, bent bumpers, brush marks from tight trails. These don't have to happen but like on any trail they may happen. (My only damage was first time I ran the trail with 32s and almost no significant offroad experience.)

3Hummers has been out and run the Gap with us

The following pics are from February 9, 2008.

The Step - called the hardest (non-buggy) obstacle in southern AZ

The Step again. This is optional and there is a bypass

Tippy turn by the rock. Easy if you do the correct line, troublesome if you don't.

Sunflower Mine

Last edited by alrock on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:48 am, edited 7 times in total.
alrock
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

Vehicle: 2007 H3

Re: AZ - 2 day MEGA event, Feb 6th and 7th

Postby Seth » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:27 pm

Oh man, that sounds like a fun run. Can you give a little more detail on the chance of damage? Are we talking steel bender type guaranteed scrapage on a bumper or fender or just a chance of it happening?

What is your plan for Saturday night? Camping on the trail or everyone getting lodging in Phoenix?
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby alrock » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:25 pm

Lodging: hotels in the Phoenix area, I would recommend the Metro Center area around I-17, south of the 101. Book now while rates are low, cancel if you need to. Unfortunately, Charouleau Gap is about 90 miles south of Phoenix and Crown King is 20 miles north, so camping isn't that practical. That said, there may be areas to camp closer to Sunday's run and I'll see if I can dig anything up.

Damage is more like individual rocks and bad lines vs. guaranteed bumper scrapage. You would not see damage on Crown King. The Gap has more boulders but nothing a bone stock H3 on 32s can't struggle through (trust me). I have not had any scrapes after the first time I ran it when I went on lousy tires and poor lines.

EDIT - did some quick checking. There is camping at Lake Pleasant area which is where we will start day 2. It is a tough call as the campgrounds can fill up quickly and there are no reservations. Additionally, you would not arrive until evening. February shouldn't be an issue but it could be. If you were staying in the area Sunday night before driving home the camping would be easier to locate.
alrock
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

Postby Jeff_H3 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:11 pm

This looks very tempting....
Jeff_H3
Club Member
Club Member

Postby alrock » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:26 pm

It would be great if you made it!
alrock
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

Postby Seth » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:43 pm

alrock wrote:It would be great if you made it!

But not me??? ;) :P :lol:
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby tfrydend » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:41 pm

I'm interested. Need to see if I can get a day or two off at work. What time do you plan on leaving Phoenix on Saturday?
tfrydend
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Hummer H3

Postby MaxPF » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:37 pm

Ok, pencil me in for both days. My rig should be ready by then, but if not I will let you know in advance. If my rig isn't ready I will probably ride shotgun with Todd.

What I mean by my rig possibly not being ready is that I plan to begin another engine swap right around Thanksgiving. This time, the 6.2 GM diesel is being pulled out, and a very manly 12V Cummins is being swapped in. Also, the auto tranny is going buh-bye, and in it's place is a non-OD 4 speed grindbox. Because of the non-OD trans I will have to re-gear both diffs. The existing 4.56's will pay for the rear set of gears, but there is a small chance I may not be able to get the front diff re-geared before this trip, and without matching gears I can't wheel it. That said, even if I do get everything done it will be an essentially untested vehicle at that point. But hey, it worked last time Image

Oh, and one of you H3 guys has to pack a spare rear axle shaft... Image
MaxPF
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 1991 Chevy K5 Blazer

Postby alrock » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:58 am

Seth wrote:
alrock wrote:It would be great if you made it!

But not me??? ;) :P :lol:

You are expected to come! 8) :lol: :lol:

We would leave Phoenix early on Saturday morning like 7 or 8 since it is about 90 minutes to the trail head. Ideally, we'll be coming off the trail by 4 then head back to Phoenix and be in town by 6. Somewhat optimistic schedule. California peeps, and others traveling good distances, should consider at least a half day off on Friday.

Sunday's schedule would be 8:45ish meet, trailhead by 9:30, off the trail by 4. Again, the optimistic but feasible schedule.

MaxPF, I don't think you need a rig for this weekend. Designated mechanics are supposed to ride shotgun, right? :D
alrock
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

Postby mnstrh2 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:27 pm

wha?!
how?!
Alex...trail time..945-4 ? really?!..only 7hrs...that IS optomistic. :lol: :duh:
I would LOVE to get out before dark......have we ever?? :P
2006 Jeep Unlimited, 4 lift, 33" BFG KM2's, cut and trimmed for trail duty
mnstrh2
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 06 Jeep

Postby LVMYH2 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:36 pm

Write in two more! (H2's) Myself and Tim will be there for both trips! I will be going down to Tucson on Friday night and staying at Tim's and will meet you at trail head Saturday morning! Then we will pick up the girls at the golf course and head back to Phoenix, and meet up with everyone again on Sunday morning! This sounds like its going to be a blast! Hope to meet fellow X-Members from nearby Chapters!
Ken Williams
Peoria,Az
LV MY H2
LVMYH2
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2007 H2

Postby alrock » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:52 pm

Great! Look forward to seeing you two again.
alrock
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

Postby Jeff_H3 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:49 pm

I am trying to make this event. I should have a better idea next month. It looks like a great time. Anyone else from Cali going?
Jeff_H3
Club Member
Club Member

Postby alrock » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:54 pm

Jeff, we're pondering moving it to the 20th/21st as the 7th is Super Bowl Sunday. Your thoughts?
alrock
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

Postby Jeff_H3 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:45 pm

alrock wrote:Jeff, we're pondering moving it to the 20th/21st as the 7th is Super Bowl Sunday. Your thoughts?

That is fine with me. Hotels have not been booked yet.
Jeff_H3
Club Member
Club Member

Next

Return to Club Events