Best time of year for Moab?

Off topic discussion

Best time of year for Moab?

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:16 pm

f5, wondering if you had any recommendation on when would be the best time of year to head out to Moab? A friend and his son are planning on heading out there sometime after this summer. I figured fall and spring are the busiest tourist wise but also the best weather. We got pretty lucky for the weather we had being mid June but it's normally pretty hot then right? Was thinking May or September might be good options?
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Re: Best time of year for Moab?

Postby f5fstop » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:30 pm

Undoubtedly the best month for Moab is October.
Not as many tourists, but have heard it is getting very popular.
Kids are normally back in school so tourists are mostly adults.
Days are warm, usually in the 80s; nights can drop down and be cooler.
Campgrounds are usually not as busy, and after labor day, hotels generally drop their prices back down to normal vs. the raping of the customer from Easter Safari to Labor day. :wall:

First time I visited Moab was in Oct; sunny the entire time, walk up to Delicate Arch was decent, about 80 at 5PM when we started (in comparison the second time out there was in July and the same walk at about 3PM it was 104 and it as cooling down).
August and Shttps://www.nps.gov/common/uploads/pho ... pgeptember can get some wild thunderstorms...
Aug 2010 a storm rolled in and destroyed Mineral bottom road, one of the access routes to the White Rim Trail. Storm also put parts of the white rim trail under water near Green River.

And Sept 2004, a few days before I moved to Idaho. And this is a good hour after the thunderstorm rolled through.

Biggest thing to know if you off-road in Moab is to watch the weather reports for miles and miles around.
Kane and Hunters creek, down Kane Creek road are usually small creeks; however, if you get a massive rainstorm south of town near the canyon rims area (about 30 miles south of Moab) in hours these creeks can turn into raging rivers. They are both fed south of Moab and most people don't realize that until they spend a night on the other side of the creek. Good friend, went out there on a sunny day in Sept to help pull out a broken jeep; went through the creeks with no problem. Spent a few hours getting the Jeep pulled out ( Kane Creek Canyon trail that runs off Kane Creek road), got it back to the creek and had to spend the night. :D Seems there was a heavy storm that hit north of Monticello and in the canyon rims area causing both Kane and Hunters to flood. He should have know better. :wall:

March is also nice, but only if it is before Jeep Safari week which is always the week before Easter Sunday.

Weather wise April and May are nice, but like noted, after the Jeep Easter safari it turns into an area full of nut cases, and smelly tourists from Europe. :wall:
GONE FROM THE HUMMER WORLD!
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2015 Silverado 4x4 CC LTZ

Re: Best time of year for Moab?

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:49 pm

Thank you for all the great info, very helpful and I will pass it along. I think Oct will work good with his schedule and sounds like it's the ideal time of year.

Man I want to get back out there.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Return to Off Topic