Official Fishing thread

Everything to do with the great outdoors

Re: Official Fishing thread

Postby PhilD » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:17 pm

Rich wrote:Too bad about the motor. Buy a Merc so it's doesn't happen again. :lol: Oh wait, you have dual motors right? Might be a little to pricey to replace both.

There's a sign on the main waterway here by a local bridge that says "If you are not powered by Yamaha call this number", then underneath is the tel number for Tow Boat US :-D

I'd love to throw two new motors on, but it just isn't a viable option for me :-(
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby USVibrant » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:50 am

Rich wrote:
USVibrant wrote:Hi Rich,

I really enjoyed watching your video, it providing me with the feeling of being on a boat. I so miss those days!

When I seen the fish you caught, Wow! I do not think I have ever seen a Bass that big; however, I have seen native cutthroat trout here in Colorado, and even bigger.

You're fortunate to live in a place with native cutthroat. I've caught exactly one in my lifetime and I didn't even land him. Had it right at my feet and he popped off. Beautiful fish to say the least.

I have some video of us catching steelhead on the north unqua in Oregon about 20 years ago. Someday I need to get it converted from VHS to DVD. Right now I'm afraid to put it in my VHS player thinking it will get eaten and ruined. :lol:

HI Rich

I am very fortunate and thankful, my father sowed his oats in Colorado, rather than PA. :up: Otherwise, I feel I would have never had the honor of even knowing what a native cutthroat trout looked like or even the thrill of catching one.

Lame, I bet you had some choice words when the trout landed at your feet and said so long _____ back in the water I go. Native cutthroat trout have a tendency to laugh at you! :roll:

There is this nature made lake in the mountains, the only way to get to it is 4-wheeling or hiking in, which I have done both.
These native cutthroats feed off shrimp, you see the shrimp on the shoreline, and you see these huge trout looking at you as they feed and/or are spawning. Unreal...........all the while as they are looking at you, you know what is going on in there pea size brain, "Try to catch me you fool." :lol: The only thing that will hook these fish is something only Cabelas has, which is called Dr. Juice; saturating your fly and/or lure with this stuff, they become the fool. :lol:

I bet that is a sweet memory in catching the steelhead, which are beautiful fish in themself-are they not rainbow trout? :duh:

If you ever make it to Colorado, maybe, just maybe, I would introduce to this awesome lake I mentioned. Not to many people I give this honor to, as I am fearful, some may not value it and leave their poplution behind. Which brings me to say......it does sadden me to even consider this thought, but I had left the state for ten long years, moving back in 2009, there are so many implants here (some implants are worse than others), the growth is overwhelming, I feel many people may know of this hidden lake now, I hope not, because it would destroy it. :yuck:
Real Women Drive Hummers and This One, once upon a time, Owned Her Own. Now she is just the black Jeep of the Hummer Family going topless and becoming way too dirty. (No Recovery Needed)

I would rather be found camping & off-roading than to be found at home
USVibrant
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Darkside-07 Wrangler Jeep

Postby Rich » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:54 pm

USVibrant wrote:I bet that is a sweet memory in catching the steelhead, which are beautiful fish in themself-are they not rainbow trout? :duh:

By law the basic definition of a steelhead is a rainbow 20" or more in length in a river that connects to the ocean. It is assumed by 20" that they have travelled to the ocean and back. In reality hooking and catching one is very different. A steelhead is hard and strong like a salmon almost. They're lightning fast and difficult to land. A swift moving river adds to the difficulty. :lol:

I've caught just about everything that swims inshore and IMO nothing compares to a steelhead for excitement, strength, speed and difficulty.
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich
Chapter President - NorCal
Chapter President - NorCal

Vehicle: 04 HMCS Adv.

Postby USVibrant » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:45 pm

Rich wrote:
USVibrant wrote:I bet that is a sweet memory in catching the steelhead, which are beautiful fish in themself-are they not rainbow trout? :duh:

By law the basic definition of a steelhead is a rainbow 20" or more in length in a river that connects to the ocean. It is assumed by 20" that they have travelled to the ocean and back. In reality hooking and catching one is very different. A steelhead is hard and strong like a salmon almost. They're lightning fast and difficult to land. A swift moving river adds to the difficulty. :lol:

I've caught just about everything that swims inshore and IMO nothing compares to a steelhead for excitement, strength, speed and difficulty.

Wow! What type of reel do you use to catch a steelhead? Hardly, the plain Jane type I am sure. I am sitting here just shaking my head back and fourth. Interesting. I have had some major fun reeling in catfish, trout, and yes those ugly looking suckers and carp. But a steelhead, I get butterflies with this one thanx to you! lol
Real Women Drive Hummers and This One, once upon a time, Owned Her Own. Now she is just the black Jeep of the Hummer Family going topless and becoming way too dirty. (No Recovery Needed)

I would rather be found camping & off-roading than to be found at home
USVibrant
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Darkside-07 Wrangler Jeep

Postby Charles Helm » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:57 pm

Paging Phil -- where are the trip reports for offshore this year? Has the wind kept you in?
Charles Helm
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: H2 SUT

Postby PhilD » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Boat needed some repairs, but the wind's been blasting the last few months anyway, so didn't miss many opportunities.

Made the first trip out last Tuesday. My Mother was visiting from England so took her fishing :)

Left about seven in the morning. For 2' seas we had a pretty bumpy ride out until we hit a weed line about 25 miles out. Greenish water on one side, deep blue on the other. Smoothed out a lot after we passed this.

Figured it was a little close in to get some big fishes and thought there would be more lines further out. Of course there wasn't!

Absolutely dead at Big Southern. A few dolphin, of the flipper variety, were hanging out at the old Southern rig. Saw a few fish on the finder around the rig, but not much. No flying fish, no bluerunners, nothing jumping, no signs of anything at all. Trolled the area for 45 mins then decided to head back to the weed line we had passed. It was nice deep blue out there and very clear though and smoothed out to a gentle 1' or so.

Caught eight 2-3' mahi pretty quickly, one even put up a little fight. Saw some big bull mahi and wahoo in the water, but never had one bite. Loads of activity around the weed line.

Got fed up with little mahi, so switched all the small lures out for some bigger ones. Must have been something I said, because with that everything pretty much disappeared. It went real quiet. Trolled for another hour then headed back in. Arrived at the dock at just gone five.

The blue water been in so close in this early is a good sign, so we'll hopefully have some good trips coming up :)
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Charles Helm » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:02 pm

Sounds like the boat is running well, so hopefully the weather will cooperate and let you get out some more.

I'm tired of the wind howling and I haven't left dry land (too dry, but that is a different complaint).

Take some pics next trip. Got to live vicariously where I can!
Charles Helm
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Seth » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:08 pm

Well it still sounds like a fun trip even if it wasn't a fish party. I second the request for pics.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby PhilD » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:28 am

Only took a few pics of my Mother, not very interesting. For a good 90 minutes I was working non stop, clearing weed off lines, changing lures, and of course reeling in the mahi. That's when I decided it was time to go bigger and give myself my break :lol:
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby PhilD » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:31 am

Charles Helm wrote:Sounds like the boat is running well,
The jury is still out on that, but so far so good.

I'm tired of the wind howling and I haven't left dry land (too dry, but that is a different complaint).
Up until a few weeks ago, the wind was pretty constant down here, but seems to be letting up now. It was the same last year, didn't get out into the Gulf until end of July.

Take some pics next trip. Got to live vicariously where I can!
Anytime you down this way and the seas cooperate you are more than welcome to join us :)
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Charles Helm » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:29 pm

I'll be looking for some reports in the future -- assuming the wind stays down and the boat cooperates. I am trying to arm-twist my wife into sending me bac to Africa, so am likely to jealously guard my vacation time until she shoots me down!

Guy I work with went to Gunnison last weekend. Two blues, lots of blackfin, a Wahoo at the Flower Gardens en route, something else I am forgetting. Haven't seen the pics yet though.
Charles Helm
Club Member
Club Member

Postby PhilD » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:06 am

I've heard of quite a few people picking up black fin the last few weeks :)

Where about in Africa?
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Charles Helm » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:45 pm

I think the threshold question, on which the jury is still out, is if.

Where could be Zim again, Botswana, or somewhere else entirely. Would like to do Zim again but never can tell.
Charles Helm
Club Member
Club Member

Postby PhilD » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:47 pm

PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby beavis » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:58 am

Damn, thats a big one!