Dangerous Drives Speed Channel

Everything to do with the great outdoors

Dangerous Drives Speed Channel

Postby Hunner » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:11 am

I just wanted to see what input there was on this program if you saw it.
Did anyone else see this new series tonight? The post narration was really cranked up to be dramatic, when I was thinking why did the particular people envolved do this? (with conditions as they already were)
It was in Moab Canyonlands.
All I will say is someone needs to give them the Ranger's number or BLM and the Weather Channel and Wells Books.
A GPS for judging time to go to avoid as they mention driving at night was not planned and some calculating fuel would help also.
That was added as drama but they must have had enough. I think they had 25 gal reserve for four 4 vehicles and apparently used it.
You had to see it, very dangerous along the snowy drop offs.
Last edited by Hunner on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7790
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: Like Nothing Else

Re: Dangerous Drives Speed Channel

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:08 am

I didn't see it last night but wonder if it actually was a new series because it sounds exactly like the Moab episode of Dangerous Drives I saw something like six months ago.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby 08H3 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:41 am

Here is a link to watch online. Not sure if it's only available to Comcast customers or not, though. --> http://www.fancast.com/tv/Dangerous-Drives/106306/1451226867/Extreme-Off-Roaders/videos.

It does say the original air date was March, 2010 so I don't think it's a new series.
08H3
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:10 am

Yep, that's the one. BTW, the Jeep roll at about 3:30 was at Hard Rock here in Central FL.
Mark

Postby Hunner » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:43 am

I have been seeing ads for that as a new series so I was not sure if it had been aired before. I guess I should have added in the first post that I was surprised the way it was presented in the narration that those people chose to do that in those conditions when it was possible ahead of time to get an idea of the severity of the conditions but made it seem like they had all that happen without knowing ahead of time.
I have done some rough stuff too but try not to intentionally drive along cliffs on snow and ice!
Oh well just hit me that way.
On my trip to Death Valley I wanted to see the runway of rocks. However after the other vehicle had to return home, we checked with the Rangers and they said at that time of year the roads were covered in lots of snow and they did not even patrol up there for another month or so. In other words we would be on our own with no phone coverage, except I did have a sat unit. I decided I would live to die another day!
Then last night was a show on Death Valley and got me all pumped to go back.
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:47 am

I got the same impression you did from the narration :yup:
Mark

Postby Rich » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:55 pm

Mark wrote:Yep, that's the one. BTW, the Jeep roll at about 3:30 was at Hard Rock here in Central FL.

I thought so. I remember that. If I remember it was filmed from the bottom also.

That hard top JK is cool. 8) I'd almost be seen driving it. :lol:
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich
Chapter President - NorCal
Chapter President - NorCal

Vehicle: 04 HMCS Adv.

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:49 pm

Rich wrote:I thought so. I remember that. If I remember it was filmed from the bottom also.

Yeah, it's been posted here a few times, even in the past month or so. I don't recall seeing any shots from the bottom but there could have been some. Need to see who actually shot that, Gator might know as I think he was standing right next to whoever when it happened, been curious if Dangerous Drives got permission to use it or not.
Mark

Postby f5fstop » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:22 am

Dramatic yes, it is not the most desolate area of the USA. But, we did the first part of this trail last week and it is one of the worse trails in the area (minus Pritchet and behind the rocks). We all agreed afterward, doing that first part with a foot of snow would have been unimaginable. It was off camber to the right while doing a a left turn on a narrow cliff, it had a narrow canyon filled with boulders to drive over or try to drive around. It has steep ledges, loose shale rocks, we had to pull in mirrors and going back down was worse than going up. And I should also add, try it one-handed going halfway up and all the way down. :wall: NEO smashed his rear fenders on the H1, I believe everyone’s undercarriage protection was moved upward a few inches; my front license plate was bent outward when the H3 almost went ass end over front, and possibly, my winch mount bracket might have kept it from going all the way (also took a few minutes to remove the seat from my butt crack too). Next time, I’ll let someone else lead the way. All the rest of the vehicles took a different line.

Once you get past the first 1.3 miles it is a nice easy ride through to about 70 miles south to Hwy 211. Where there is an outpost that has fuel available and the people who own it live there year round, so these dudes could have found fuel if they wanted to drive about five miles out of there planned route. Due to a medical problem, we had to turn around after the gnarly canyon route and head back to Moab. If not, we might have gone a few more miles and turned back, we had no camping gear and were not planning on the entire trail anyway since it is usually a two-day trip. We just wanted to do the gnarly first 1.3 miles.

As for calling BLM rangers? There are three rangers that patrol out of the Moab and Monticello office and they cover almost 5 million acres. Do you really think they know what the trail conditions are of any given trail on any day? NO! They normally patrol those areas where there are a lot of humans such as Sand Flats, the campgrounds, etc. That is where the problems are usually found. Besides, Lockhart Basin Road is a San Juan County Road on BLM land. As for the weather channel, it is worthless in this area. It can dump two inches of rain or a foot of snow five miles from another area that is totally dry. The weather channel gets their weather from the airport fifteen miles north and a thousand feet higher than Moab and probably two thousand feet higher than Lockhart basin. So normally, weather reports are notoriously incorrect for most areas south of the airport.
GONE FROM THE HUMMER WORLD!
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2016 Sierra Z714x4 CC SLT

Postby Hunner » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:49 am

I was just thinking they could have checked those resources BEFORE heading out and at least get a heads up on weather trends and some idea of what they were getting into. It was implied they concurred these conditions as they arouse and deteriorated unbenown to them. Their are resources besides just the weather radio, online and even TV. As I understand what the narration said, the conditons were bad BEFORE they left. They explained it had already been a record snowfall.
I realize that it was a rough trail, not doubting that, it was the way it was presented and as someone said, the "drama" they took advantage of with the cameo interviews.
I know you guys new the weather was favorable before heading out.
I would have thought at least the BLM from experience or any reports from people before that weather would at least had a little input if contacted before leaving. But then I guess as you say overworked and undermanned with limited resources.
I think you and I would not attempt it at the time they did with the information they did have just judging from our encounters together.
As a retired video producer I have a script running thru my head of a group of Black Sheep adventurers doing this trail and a man with a broken wrist either before or after, could still be used, and the carnage to vehicles and ........but you guys had the sense to not attempt it all because of other circumstances. Live to die another day. :lol:
My original post was just a comment right after seeing it about my impression of it. Oh well it made a great show.
Hows the wrist?
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby f5fstop » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:24 pm

Weather was bad at the red cliffs lodge, could have been a lot different twenty miles away. However, it was probably worse where they were. Honestly give them credit for doing it, I would have turned back for another day. The ledge they had to winch vehicles up, is the same ledge that turned me around two weeks ago, when I was by myself. I didn't want to try it on a dry day with only my vehicle. Decided to wait until there was a group of Hummers for back up. In the beginning a very difficult trail to follow. I ended up in two dead end canyons before finding the correct routes. They parallel so close that hard to determine even with a GPS which way is correct, and since no one does the trail, there is no rubber on the ledges or tracks in the sand.

The trail was actually closed in the canyon area due to washouts and boulders for about three weeks. San Juan county sent out a loader and dropped some sand and pushed a few boulders to the side and considereed it open.
That trail, is not in the Moab field area. In fact, from Hurrah pass west it is in Monticello's field area, they have one ranger, and no ranger vehicles that could even do that trail.

We do go past Hunner switchbacks on the way there. :lol: :lol:

Come on out next year and we can duplicate their trip, but we can also include elephant hill in Canyonlands. We can camp out on Lockhart near 211, then fill up at the Canyonlands outpost, then do elephant hill and Beef basin, then campout and head home.

And not just a wrist, but also the hand and the arm at the wrist.
GONE FROM THE HUMMER WORLD!
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2016 Sierra Z714x4 CC SLT

Postby Hunner » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:46 pm

I give them credit for having done it, it was just the portrayal that got to me. Like you said, I would have turned back to try another time. Been there done that when the karma was bad :lol
Take care of those bones, you may need them!
Still trying to work out my next trip, soon I hope.
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Return to Outdoor Pursuits