Hunner's Alpha H3

How you built it

Re: Hunner's Alpha H3

Postby Hunner » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:18 pm

I been good.
Been mostly sailing, shooting pictures and using the Hummer to get to out of the way places in Arkansas's vast National forests. I sort of went whole hog into the quadcopters and moved up to a more sophisticated larger model that amazes me every time I fly.
Shoots 12 mp stills and 4K video. All kinds of features I tried to build into the others.
One cool thing I used to do was drive and fly so I could video me wheeling. This one does that on it's own and follows the transmitter GPS signal!

Gas getting cheaper has sort of tempted me to go back out west again in the spring.

I try to keep the H3 updated. I got about 85,000 miles now and have noticed I have to add a bit of oil. It does not smoke just uses less than a quart between oil changes.

Yuneec Typhoon
Last edited by Hunner on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7790
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: Like Nothing Else

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:41 am

That is a very cool quad. I have been going back and forth about getting one myself. I love how some of the new ones can track you and so you can focus on driving or whatever it is your trying to shoot. I have only flown a couple of cheap ones which is part of why I have yet to pull the trigger, it wasn't pretty. From what I understand though the higher end ones are often easier to fly let alone with practice you get a lot better.

For video in the truck I used to use several GoPros but have recently switched to a 4 channel HD DVR that records to SD. Just finish the first bit trip with it as a test and overall it did pretty good. Still have some tweaking to do and a few things I am not overly happy about with he setup but much easier than trying to control and power several GoPros.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby Hunner » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:48 pm

Thought I would surface again and do a bit of updating as to what I have been up to, I follow from time to time to see who is still out there.

Finally went all the way to new technology. Retired the 13 inch laptop for nav. It did good when that was all there was. Using the ipad 2 was awesome upgrade but, well like most things it left me wanting more.

I used it a lot to display my photography to clients and when I needed a bit more size I got an ipad air pro. Whew, nice size.

So now when adventuring or storm chasing I got the great advantage of steady connections and stable display.

Knight Metal works came up with a UCP design using lots of input.
Check this out from Knight Metal works.

Finally had time to install mine.

Having been wanting to have something like these built since 06 but running into issues like having to order multiples and the end price escalating, I was glad to see someone finally accomplish this.

Workmanship is excellent. Engineering was right on. It just took some muscle and a hydraulic tranny jack while on a lift in my case to save the old driver body.

Being that my shop is full of woodworking tools setup for some projects and a long table full of quadcopters (maybe that last one was a drone?), my poor old neck and shoulder is still locked up from sailing in high winds, I opted to get help.

Arkansas Mid-Ark Offroad to the rescue. These guys have done a few small projects like the truck my H3 is sitting beside. lol
Obviously it has on the tires for hauling on a trailer in the first shot.

I have bought two Warn winches from here and have had help with parts on one of those.

If I can't do it myself I want someone that cares and uses the same, or higher quality of workmanship I try to accomplish.
Thanks Daniel

Got someone to make a custom gauge pod for the a-pillar while I did some fiberglass work on boats.

Then I'm still into the drone hobby. They just keep getting better and smarter, wish I could do that!

So, there you are you see I'm still making road trips and exploring.........
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7790
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: Like Nothing Else

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:24 pm

Great to see the update Hunner. I also switched from the laptop to an iPad mini for my nav needs and love it. I made that change before getting the iPad Pro and have not used it yet but my pro does not have cellular and I no longer have a bluetooth GPS antenna to tether to it. Might have to get on and try it.

Did you get the gauge pods from Paul? Have been thinking about getting them since I saw his when we went wheeling together. Currently getting my readings through and app on the iPad as well including trans temp but it would be nice to have it always readily available on a gauge.

I looked at the Knight Metal Works UCP for mine but at the time he didn't have it setup for the Rancho lift so I made my own. Used their design as the basic template for mine and so far am loving the. They aren't as nice and clean as I made them with no more than a drill, a cutoff wheel and a welder so no nice laser cuts but they are holding up very nicely and work great compared to the optional stock UCP.

Got a Phantom 2 Vision+ V3.0 on a great black Friday deal and have been learning to fly with that while waiting on my Mavic Pro to come in. Hoping it will ship within the week as I have a week long wheeling trip coming up in a month that I want to use it on.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Previous

Return to Builds