Mark's Alpha Build

How you built it

Re: Mark's Alpha Build

Postby Mark » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:38 pm

Charles Helm wrote:Thanks. I agree it would be nice to have everything there but not in the way. I guess I need to make sure if I do this it can hold up to the weight I tend to put back there. I would go with a pre-fab system like the ARB as my skills are pretty much non-existent!

Yeah, my skills were pretty much none existent as well when I did it :lol:

I drew up the plans in Vizio using square tube for the frame, bought myself a cheap welder and had at it. The welds aren't pretty but they hold and I have been pretty happy with it.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby Charles Helm » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:44 pm

The good thing about making it for yourself -- if the welds are strong they don't have to be pretty!

Was looking at the back of the Jeep today, trying to figure out if I can really fit everything I want to in a slide out.

What I really need as well is a trailer for those times I need to haul a lot. Been trying to avoid that as I have more than enough rolling stock as it is. :lol:
Charles Helm
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: H2 SUT

Postby Mark » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:58 am

Charles Helm wrote:The good thing about making it for yourself -- if the welds are strong they don't have to be pretty!

That's definitely the way I look at it. They will hold and the way it's built nobody is going to see them so it works for me :lol:

Charles Helm wrote:Was looking at the back of the Jeep today, trying to figure out if I can really fit everything I want to in a slide out.

What I really need as well is a trailer for those times I need to haul a lot. Been trying to avoid that as I have more than enough rolling stock as it is. :lol:

We make more room by better organization and we figure out more stuff to bring :wall:

Last couple of trips I have really been weeding out items that I don't really need and it's helped but I would like to build an off road trailer. Would like to build one with an roof top tent so I can keep all the camping gear in the trailer and just have trail essentials in the truck such as tools, spare parts and recovery gear.
Mark

Postby Charles Helm » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:59 pm

I have seen a lot of interesting builds with the trailer and roof-top tent.

Looked at trailers on Craigslist last night and saw one on 37" tires. That would be cool, although that is a lot taller than the Jeep tires and even a bit higher than the H2. :o
Charles Helm
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Mark » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:49 am

Yeah, there are some pretty impressive trailers on the market these days and you can get a variety of different configurations. Bet that was a beast of a trailer on 37s. One nice thing about a trailer is if you match your lug pattern as well as tire/wheel combo with your rig you can have two spares with you just in case. Still one for the trailer and one for the rig but its more likely that you will need one for the rig than it is for the trailer. I like the idea of the roof top tents but don't want one on my rig. Don't want the weight up there for when on the trails and I don't want to have to climb down from the top of my truck in the middle of the night, maybe 4' up on top of a trailer isn't too bad though.
Mark

Postby Charles Helm » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:24 pm

We have been hunting the last couple of years at a place with no accommodations and if we overnight we have to drive to a nearby town. It is 20 miles or so. I thought about the roof-top tend. You can get a Jeep hard top with a built-in flip top tent. But then I realized would have to take it all down in the morning if I needed to drive to the spot we were hunting. Not such a good plan after all.
Charles Helm
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Mark » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:31 am

That is definitely a factor I have considered as well. Most of our wheeling trips we spend about a week hitting different forest or off road parks camping along the way. When we are going to be in a spot of two nights or more I would have to have to pack everything up each morning to hit the trails only to set back up in the same spot that evening when we get back to camp. You save room with the RTT versus carrying everything separately but it's not worth the hassle to my in that situation.
Mark

Previous

Return to Builds