New to forum

How you built it

Re: New to forum

Postby 58bisc » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:19 am

Dual batteries are installed, Tmax controler is working, winch is wired up. KC driving lights are mounted, but sill need to be wired up to secondary battery. I ordered a factory grille light switch to use with the KC's. It will mount in the stock location in the dash console. Red and black light covers are installed on the lights.

I took the front skid plate off and painted it black to match the Thor bumper. I also added a red vinyl H3 decal to it. Looks good.

Paintable grille is waiting for me to prep and paint it victory red and install the black Hummer lettering.

I ordered a new old set of BA shock siders while Hunner looks for a new place to make his sliders. Still waiting on the custom rock sliders to ship.

I'll try to post pictures in the next couple of days.
Red 06, hood stripe, red & black leather interior, tow package, Monsoon radio, iPod jack, body lift, Tbar crank, Bilstein f & r shocks, extended bump stops, air horn, fender flares w/splash guards, 35 tires, touring exhaust, H3 tips, AirDoc's intake, K&N filter, tune, UCP, diff skid, engine coil spring delete, ported throttle body, ladder, Thor bumper/bull bar, 12,500 winch, dual batteries, Tmax controller, KC lights, color grille, shock skids, rock sliders, roof rack
58bisc
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 2006 Hummer H3

Postby 58bisc » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:09 am

Here is the Thor bumper, bull bar, 12,500 winch, KC lights and the front skid plate:

Before skid:

After skid:

Tail light guards:

Heres the dual battery set up:

Cheap eBay tray:

Assembled tray, modified right lid mounting tab and dual yellow top 34/78 Optima's:

Solinoid with home made mounting brackets:

Mounted trays (the only change I would have made to the tray was to tack weld the bottoms together before prep. They wanted to walk apart):

Batteries in place:

Modified tab in place:

Completed install:

Side view:

Tmax controller:

Tmax installed:
Red 06, hood stripe, red & black leather interior, tow package, Monsoon radio, iPod jack, body lift, Tbar crank, Bilstein f & r shocks, extended bump stops, air horn, fender flares w/splash guards, 35 tires, touring exhaust, H3 tips, AirDoc's intake, K&N filter, tune, UCP, diff skid, engine coil spring delete, ported throttle body, ladder, Thor bumper/bull bar, 12,500 winch, dual batteries, Tmax controller, KC lights, color grille, shock skids, rock sliders, roof rack
58bisc
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby poncho1965 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:57 am

Looking great!
poncho1965
New User
New User

Vehicle: 2006 H3 Adventure

Postby 04Blkuav » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:05 am

now let's go take it out and scratch the heck outta it!
04Blkuav
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2004 H1 Wagon

Postby 58bisc » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:14 pm

A couple more pieces before I'm ready for that. A set of new unused BA shock skids that I bought showed up today. They should hold me off till Hunner can get his made again. My custom (for the one inch body lift) rock sliders should have shipped today. Just waiting on the tracking numbers. At that point the under cartidge should be complete and off road worthy.

I ordered a roof rack yesterday. Semi locally made clone of a GOBI stealth. Mid next week for delivery.
58bisc
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby Hummergurl » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:33 pm

big2dabank wrote:Welcome. I have run with lots of 3's with 35s and they seem to be holding up very well. Don't forget thos pics!!!

nice i like it..... i just put new shoes on mine also... not 315's but close lol... kool :up:
HUMMER........ LIKE NOTHING ELSE
Hummergurl
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 H3

Postby 58bisc » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:25 pm

Making sure I keep the build thread up to date. Here is the latest.

Victory red grille:

BA shock sliders bed lined and ready for install:

Made up a harness for the driving lights, then wired them in:

Factory switch is a two week item, so I mounted the KC switch in the same location:

Of all of the upgrades I have done to my truck, this $3.00 item works the best. I put one of the convex mirrors on both sides pointing down. I can see my tires and the bottom half of the H3 now:

I took the time to unspool the wintch and tried both the cabled remote and wireless to respool with some tension. I'm hoping to do some more work on it this week if the parts come in.
58bisc
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby Hummergurl » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:34 am

Dang! I'm In love lol. Nice H3 :P ;)
HUMMER........ LIKE NOTHING ELSE
Hummergurl
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 H3

Postby Mark » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:11 pm

Looking great 8)
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby 58bisc » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:56 pm

Couple of quick updates, roof rack in progress:

Sliders need a little adjusting to get them to fit correctly.

Very beefy:

Sliding them under for the third time...
58bisc
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby 58bisc » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:46 pm

Not going to bore you with too many shots of the roof rack build. Just a couple to give you the idea of what it looks like.

The rear with ladder cut outs:

The outline of a stealth:

The builder should have it completed and ready for paint tomorrow. Floor, tie down hooks and light bar are all that are left.
58bisc
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby 58bisc » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:04 pm

Pictures of the completed rack. I take delivery tomorrow afternoon and the install to follow right after delivery. I am pumped about it. I have been thinking about and planing this mod for quite some time. It's not a GOBI, but it's mine (or will be tomorrow). As much thought as I have given the rack, I have not even begone to think about what lights I am going to install on it.

I also got my OEM light switch and think I am going to order the matching roof light switch. I won't be able to use it till I add rack lights, but I like the idea of no extra switches in the dash or console (for now).

58bisc
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby 58bisc » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:13 pm

Thought I'd post a couple rack install pictures.

From the back:

Front without the deflector:

Front complete:

My standard shot:

Full rear:

Reading back through the thread on the roof rack I never did mention that per my request the builder used welded tube and not sch40 pipe. There was no change in price. It is the same spec as what GOBI uses. Shopping for lights now. I know the PIAA 2100's will fit, but I'll be looking around. I ordered the stock roof light switch to match the one I bought for the bull bar lights. That one is the down arrow switch, this one is the up arrow switch.

Overall very happy with the rack. It was worth the money he charged. There were a couple of things like the deflector brackets I would change. I'm not a fan of the brackets he made. I feel they make it sit to high. I going to try moving them, but if that does not work, I'll be making new brackets. For a finish, he just used a thin coat of Kevlar bed liner. I went back and sanded it and put a heavy, textured coating of Dupi-color bed liner on there. I replaced some of the hardware he included and I think I will be going back and use acorn nuts on the rack mounting brackets for a more finished look. The rubber mounting pads he made were blue. Not that you can see a lot of it, but I would have used black. I still may go back and change them also. These are minor finish issues, but the build is solid.

I've never seen an install or installed a rack like this. It took three men to get it up there and it would have been easier with four. The roof has a slight arch and the rack was stright. I don't know if the GOBI is per arched or not, but the outside ends had to be pushed down to start the nuts. The middle was no issue. Again minor issue, but I'm trying to be real as I know others are looking into this type of home builder clone racks.
58bisc
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby gautry » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:12 pm

Where did you manage to find your black nos (new old stock) grille? I've been looking for a spare grille for a while but with no luck. Also, are the "hummer" letters that are across your grille the flat, stick on decals or more like the 3D letters that are on the H2 grilles? Great H3 by the way! 8)
gautry
New User
New User

Vehicle: Hummer H3

Postby 58bisc » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:56 pm

Bought it on another forums swap meet for $100. When it showed up it was really an NOS unpainted grille. Because of this, I prepped and painted it victory red. The letters are just flat vynal, cheap eBay items. I really like the way it turned out.
58bisc
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

PreviousNext

Return to Builds