nuggets Defender

How you built it

Re: nuggets Defender

Postby Hummerh309 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:40 am

Very cool! What welder are you using? I don't have a 220 line but have a cheap arc welder.and wire welder. The welds can hold the weight of four guys on the work bench we made but i just didn't know if 90 amps is enough to make a strong weld.
Hummerh309
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: Hummer H3 Stealth Ed

Postby nugget » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:37 am

I use a Lincoln 180 Mig. Bottom end for aluminium really but does just enought for me for now. I run argon gas which also enables me to do stainless as well if needed with a wire change.
H3 Adventure. Vortec Supercharger, Custom exhaust, 4" Rancho lift with extended shackles & military wrap heavy duty rear suspension,HD Sway-A-Way torsion bars,35" MTZ's,Rock Sliders, UHF radio, Cargo Barrier,UHF ariel custom side mounted, Pioneer AVIC Nav, draw system, dual battery, 500w inverter, custom roof rack with 4 IPF 800's, custom ARB bullbar, Mile Marker V-Winch 10,000lb, snorkel with custom airbox and K & N filter, TD low profile shock plates, ARB front Air Locker
nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 07 H3 Adventure

Postby nugget » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:12 pm

The roof rack is slowly..very slowly coming together. Partly me being new to milling and it taking a lot longer than I thought plus some messing around with getting the front mounting plates right..bit complex for simple guys like me with the angle of the roof and the radius of the bend.

These are all of the bits and pieces..probably doesn't make much sense until I start assembly!

defender roof r 11-04-09 0204_534 post.JPG
defender roof r 11-04-09 0204_534 post.JPG (109.45 KiB) Viewed 3095 times
H3 Adventure. Vortec Supercharger, Custom exhaust, 4" Rancho lift with extended shackles & military wrap heavy duty rear suspension,HD Sway-A-Way torsion bars,35" MTZ's,Rock Sliders, UHF radio, Cargo Barrier,UHF ariel custom side mounted, Pioneer AVIC Nav, draw system, dual battery, 500w inverter, custom roof rack with 4 IPF 800's, custom ARB bullbar, Mile Marker V-Winch 10,000lb, snorkel with custom airbox and K & N filter, TD low profile shock plates, ARB front Air Locker
nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby 08H3 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:53 pm

Very cool! Keep us posted with your build updates.
08H3
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby nugget » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:28 pm

Finally got the roof rack done and dusted..

Nothing like drilling holes in the roof of your new car!!

nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby nugget » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:35 pm

Pretty happy with the final result...almost looks like a bought one!!

As you can see, I still have anorexia beat

nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Mark » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:58 pm

Looks great nugget. Good friend of mine is down there in Brisbane right now visiting family and friends. Hope you got some decent winter weather for him :)
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby Seth » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:23 pm

Great looking rack, nugget. Nice roof basket too. ;) :lol:
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby nugget » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:00 pm

Is that Ben Meadows???? Hopefully I will catch him for a beer this afternoon.
nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby nugget » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:36 pm

Just realised I missed the middle section of the build..

The cross rails I milled off centre so they would sit flush on 1 side of the tube , but low on the other side to allow room for the security screen floor

Helps if things are square before you start melting metal

All good to go

Brackets I welded a gusset in for extra strength and then linished them back flussh

positioning the mounting blocks and then welding

the other half of the mounting bracket I milled in blocks of 4...needed 8

great when a plan works!

nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby nugget » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:40 pm

bit of rubber helps protect the paint on the gutter

I did somewthing a bit different for mounting the basket. I wanted to take the pressure off the gutter if there was any variation in height of the mounts of gutter so made a mould and had some 5mm thick flexible pads made.
nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby clean slate » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:40 pm

nugget wrote:
Nothing like drilling holes in the roof of your new car!!

Nugget you ol' perv. Good to hear from you!
clean slate
Club Vice President
Club Vice President

Vehicle: 2007 h3

Postby Bellvis » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:46 pm

Hmmmmmm, it's to clean. :duh:
Miss you Rich! Thank's for all the memories!
Bellvis
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: The Boobicon

Postby nugget » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:20 pm

Finally got the roof rack done and dusted so it was time to move onto a bullbar. Had a look at what was available commercially and nothing was what I wanted so I decided to build my own.

My concept was for a steel bar with a centre loop which would follow the radiator/grille lines, take a winch, provision for a ladder rack and a couple of other things I still have up my sleeve.

To make the job a bit easier, I managed to get my digits on a raw channel with brackets not welded in.

Unfortunately it had indicator slots which i didn't want, and the winch slot was not where I needed it so the first job was to fill in the holes.

The brackets sit on the inside of the chassis rails so positioning was important

I also added a bit of extra strengthening. A plate to sit against the end of the chassis rail and also a plate to bolt a recovery point through. This plate was alos braced back to the bracket later for even more strength.

Unfortunately the winch, whilst fitting between the brackets, would not centre properly so I modified the bracket.

A spacer and new plate section was added later to maintain the strength of the bracket.

I decided to machine my own Hawes fairlead which would have a front plate and rear plate so there is a fairlead on both sides and the 2 halves would be bolted together, sandwiching the bar between them...pic later of that one...and would also incorporate the number plate. First up it was time to cut the new slot.

A bracket to hold the winch control box and the access hole for the engage lever

Time to slip it on and check everything was going to work. Position of the centre tube and also the ladder rack hole finalised.

nugget
Club Member
Club Member

Postby nugget » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:21 pm

Centre tube welded in with a bit of extra bracing for the really big roos!

Starting to all come together

The tedious but important part...preparing for powder coating and trying to make my welds look half decent.

You can also see the thickness of the steel where the recovery hook bolts on. 4mm channel with a 10mm plate behind sound enable a decent recovery.

Time to start machining the fairlead parts

Whilst I was in protection mode, decided to make my own bashplate as well.

And of course bash plates need barackets....

While everything was off being powder coated, I fitted the headlight guards which finish of the frontal protection.

Will update once everything is back from powder coating and being fitted.
nugget
Club Member
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to Builds