Psycho Racer 1st test run

Competition, racing, and hardcore tech

Psycho Racer 1st test run

Postby ronb » Sun May 25, 2008 2:29 am

hey all. We test ran the racer today near Barstow to start working out the bugs before we race it. It did very well for the first run -- ran through some pretty rough trails at 30 to 40 mph. I think it hit 50 at one point. In the stock trucks we couldn't do more than about 10 mph or the suspension felt like it would break! It was pretty smooth and amazingly quiet. Here's some shots of a drive by:

IMG_7806.jpg
IMG_7806.jpg (136.62 KiB) Viewed 3695 times

IMG_7807.jpg
IMG_7807.jpg (131.03 KiB) Viewed 3698 times

IMG_7808.jpg
IMG_7808.jpg (146.91 KiB) Viewed 3695 times

IMG_7809.jpg
IMG_7809.jpg (138.54 KiB) Viewed 3695 times

IMG_7810.jpg
IMG_7810.jpg (127.63 KiB) Viewed 3695 times
Last edited by ronb on Sun May 25, 2008 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
97.5 hmco with lots of goodies
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 97.5 hummer

Re: Psycho Racer 1st test run

Postby stjames151 » Sun May 25, 2008 5:00 am

I see you got the "James Bond Smoke Screen" working very well. Youre lucky that a Cummins disqualifies me from racing in the 8100 class. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: JK. LOOKS GREAT! Remember to use lots of the skinny pedal, the truck will love it!
I finally know my calling in life! I'm an a asshole!
I feel sorry for all the soldiers and intelligence officers who over the last century have worked hard to defeat communism, only to have it elected by "choice".
stjames151
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: El Peo Chiquito

Postby JustinOK » Sun May 25, 2008 10:56 am

Very cool!
1998 TD 4 Door Hard Top (HMC4) w/ 91K miles
Updated block and loaded with parts from Hummer Parts Guy and Blue Hummer

HummerDan's Hardcore Skid Guards, Fender Guards, & Locking Fuel Doors; Ham (VHF/UHF) & CB radios; Predator RapTorq4 PCM; mechanical wastegate; Cepek Adjustable Shocks; D-Tech PMD.
Stanadyne Performance Formula every fill-up and ScanGauge II full time.
JustinOK
Chapter President - Oklahoma
Chapter President - Oklahoma

Vehicle: 98 TD HMC4

Postby ronb » Sun May 25, 2008 11:26 am

stjames151 wrote:I see you got the "James Bond Smoke Screen" working very well. Youre lucky that a Cummins disqualifies me from racing in the 8100 class. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: JK. LOOKS GREAT! Remember to use lots of the skinny pedal, the truck will love it!

you can sure tell when the gas is hit! Just follow the plume.

It was a really cool test day. There are bugs that will have to be worked out -- Remember the uniball that broke on one of Rob's videos he posted from a few weeks back (other thread)? The geared hub was repaired and beefed up, but in doing so the steering stops were removed and there was no time to figure out a new one before yesterday. In one of the sharp turns, the suspension dropped just enough that the front halfshaft dropped right out of the truck! It has 20 inches of travel so it's easy to see how the a-arm could drop enough to do that. Lucky we found it -- it was custom.
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby stjames151 » Sun May 25, 2008 4:45 pm

Are the ends not drilled like the stock ones or is there too much travel to have it bolted into the portal?
I feel sorry for all the soldiers and intelligence officers who over the last century have worked hard to defeat communism, only to have it elected by "choice".
stjames151
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Hunner » Sun May 25, 2008 5:03 pm

I too am a Cummins diesel head.
I would think even on that, Isuzu black smoke is unburned diesel. Big injectors that overfuel will not mean more power if you can't burn it, but then you knew that............ :lol:
How about posting us a race schedule to follow. I would love to make it out that way sometime when they are going on.
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7790
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: Like Nothing Else

Postby stjames151 » Sun May 25, 2008 5:28 pm

Hunner wrote:I too am a Cummins diesel head.
I would think even on that, Isuzu black smoke is unburned diesel. Big injectors that overfuel will not mean more power if you can't burn it, but then you knew that............ :lol:

Thats why my first mod was an upgraded turbine and 5" exhaust. Because of that, I had to cut back on fuel to keep from breaking transmissions and still went through half shafts like they were candy canes. I'm now destroying diffs. The other day I flipped the re-mapping computer on when I was all the way into the skinny pedal. :wall: (I know better) Both the front and rear broke the leading edge off a couple of the invex worm gears.
stjames151
Club Member
Club Member

Postby ronb » Sun May 25, 2008 6:19 pm

well, it was the first time it had been driven anywhere except the parking lot infront of the warehouse where it was built. The new engine maybe has a few hours on it. After each run the tech from Red-Line Diesel would make adjustments as the boys jumped in and tweaked the suspension.

as far as the halfshafts, they are all custom and I don't know much about them. I think like the stock ones there is a "c" clip holding one end, and the set screw holding the housing at the hub -- but not sure what holds the end of the shaft to the housing. They are huge! There was so much suspension travel that the shaft itself was contacting the frame (not good). All in all we were very pleased with it's performance and with a few adjustments will do more testing in the upcoming weeks.

another shot of a driveby:
IMG_7794.jpg
IMG_7794.jpg (114.07 KiB) Viewed 3627 times

I coouldn't believe the whoops that thing was cruising over at 30+ mph. Once it's all dialed in we'll try faster and faster. It'll never beat a trophy truck as far as speed/agility, but with it's 4wd, diesel engine, and incredibly stable platform it has other advantages.
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby RobEverhart » Sun May 25, 2008 6:54 pm

Who says we won't beat Trophy Trucks :lol:

What's the point of racing!!! Thanks for the pictures Ron... lots of Black smoke that will change a bit while we are tuning it (Black Smoke = Power)

Btw we were going thru the whoops over 60 mph, I almost saw 70 but forgot we were supposed to be taking it easy..lol
Rob
2000 H1 Yellow Opentop
1996 H1 Orange Crusher
War Machine Class 8/ or Trophy Truck H1 Racer
sponsored by US ARMY,REDLINE Diesel Performance, Extreme Bio-Diesel, 4WheelParts, Fox Shox, Morrow-Meadows, and h123andmore's checkbook

http://www.h123andmore.com Custom Fab for your Hummer
RobEverhart
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby Hunner » Sun May 25, 2008 8:18 pm

You need a "got smoke?" decal :lol: Is there some place you can do a four wheel dyno out there in California land? You guys go get um. Sounds like lots of fun. Keep us updated. I guess that Duramax is electronic controlled? My old 95 Cummins had to be wrenched into the next dimension. Are you using a stacked Bully Dog??
Thanks for sharing the photos and video.
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7790
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: Like Nothing Else

Postby Jason » Sun May 25, 2008 11:31 pm

With all that smoke, you should get Marlboro to sponsor you! ;)

The rig is looking REALLY good! Bet that's a lot of fun to drive! 8)
Jason
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 08 Rubicon Unlimited

Postby ronb » Mon May 26, 2008 1:21 am

RobEverhart wrote:Btw we were going thru the whoops over 60 mph, I almost saw 70 but forgot we were supposed to be taking it easy..lol

I knew you went faster but wasn't sure of the exact speed so I wanted to be wrong in the right direction. I wish we got video of the gnarly section and had some in-cab footage. That is some serious suspension travel! Rob said it rode like a caddy on the whoops...which is good with how much time the driver/co-driver will be stuck in there. Rob and his shop did a wonderful job -- Mike Sabbrese stopped by and was all grins as he checked it out (wish he had the time to take it for a spin).

rb
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Seth » Tue May 27, 2008 12:27 pm

Looks like a fun day of testing. That beast sure is sweet. I really like the flat black look with the yellow accents. 8)
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Return to Competition & Racing