Transfer Case Encoder Motor

H2 Specific Information

Transfer Case Encoder Motor

Postby BAMBAM » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:27 pm

Anyone have a link for replacing the Transfecase Encoder Motor? Mine has a issue, everyonce in a while it will not stay in the normal mode and the light will not even light up and the sevice 4 wheel drive comes up pulled the code and that is what it said is the problem. Any help would be greatly needed
2003 H2
2005 EVO 405H/425TQ Highest stock turbo power in the state (CO)
BAMBAM
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 2003 H2

Re: Transfer Case Encoder Motor

Postby Robo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:49 pm

2003 HUMMER H2 | H2 (VIN N) Service Manual | Document ID: 862166
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transfer Case Motor/Encoder Replacement
Removal Procedure

Remove the transfer case shield. Refer to Transfer Case Shield Replacement .
Disconnect the encoder motor electrical connector.
Remove the encoder motor bolts.
Remove the encoder motor.
Remove the actuator insulator.
Installation Procedure
Important:

• If the encoder motor is being replaced, ensure that the transfer case is in the neutral position. Manually shift the transfer case at the shift shaft, using a crescent wrench if necessary.

• When installing the encoder motor, ensure that the encoder motor is indexed correctly and the motor is flat against the transfer case before tightening the bolts.

Apply a 3.175 mm (1/8 in) bead of RTV sealant GM P/N 12345739 (Canadian P/N 10953541) or equivalent to the sealing surface of the encoder motor.
Rotate to align the shift detent lever with the encoder motor assembly and install the encoder motor.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Loosely install the encoder motor mounting bolts.
Loosely install the encoder motor bracket bolt.
Tighten
Tighten the Encoder motor mounting bolts and the bracket bolt to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Connect the encoder motor electrical connector.
Install the transfer case shield. Refer to Transfer Case Shield Replacement .
Attachments
H2TCASE.jpg
H2TCASE.jpg (71.95 KiB) Viewed 9812 times
The Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights guarantees our Freedom and our Rights. They do not protect them.
Protect your Freedom. Protect your Rights.

http://www.nraila.org
Robo
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Catch and release H3

Postby BAMBAM » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:08 pm

Thanks for the info. Man you guys are fast.... :lol:
2003 H2
2005 EVO 405H/425TQ Highest stock turbo power in the state (CO)
BAMBAM
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 2003 H2

Postby Da1ofakind » Sun May 26, 2013 4:09 am

I have a 2004 Hummer H2 and just had my transfer case encoder motor replaced. However, the mechanic did not place my vehicle's transfer case in neutral before installing the new encoder motor. All the mechanic did was shift the transmission into to neutral. Is shifting the transmission into neutral the same as putting the transfer case into neutral? If not, what kind of damage has been caused to my H2 and how can it be reversed? Can someone instruct me on how to manually shift the transfer case into neutral using the slot on the transfer case?
Da1ofakind
New User
New User

Vehicle: 2004 Hummer H2

Postby SummitUp » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:08 am

Da1ofakind wrote:Can someone instruct me on how to manually shift the transfer case into neutral using the slot on the transfer case?

Not sure what you mean by the "slot on the transfer case" but this is how you put the transfer case into neutral (straight from the owners manual):

To shift the transfer case to NEUTRAL, do the following:
1. Make sure the vehicle is parked so that it will
not roll.
2. Set the parking brake.
3. Start the vehicle or turn the ignition to RUN.
4. Connect the vehicle to the towing vehicle.
5. Put the transmission in NEUTRAL (N).
6. Shift the transfer case to 4HI.
7. Simultaneously press and hold the 4HI and
4LO Lock buttons for 10 seconds. The red
NEUTRAL light will come on when the transfer case
shift to NEUTRAL is complete.

8. Turn the ignition to LOCK.
9. Place the transmission shift lever in PARK (P).
10. Release the parking brake prior to towing.
37" KM2's on 17" Hutchinson Beadlocks, Cognito UCA's, Cognito Sway Bar Links, Custom Hydro-Assist Steering Upgrade, Bilstein Shocks,
Warn 9.5ti Winch, Viking Synthetic Winch Cable, Piaa & Hella Off-road lights, Gobi Rack, Tru-Cool Transmission Oil Cooler, Eaton Front Locker, 4.56 Gears, Rubber Duck UCP Protection, Diablo Predator Hi-Octane Tune.
SummitUp
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 2005 H2

Postby mtncityboy » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:22 pm

Hello All

Needing advice on my T-Case shifting issues on my 2003 H2.

First off I was not able to shift out of 4Hi at all. I press the 4hi-Lock button, it would flash and then nothing. So after the mechanic reviewed, we both agreed to try a new shifting motor first.

So we put the truck up on the lift, unplugged old motor and removed mounting bolts. He made a comment the motor is not in the same position as the T-case was. I believe he then moved the shifting motor to match the t-case. Bolted it back up, and plugged in. Seemed simple right?

Now we go to test. I can shift from 4Hi to 4Hi-lock very nicely. YAY!!!! So I put the Tranny in neutral, foot on the brakes, and try to shift from 4Hi-Lock to 4Low-Lock and there is a LOAD knock and no shifting. I am still showing 4Hi-lock light on.

I find the instructions that says the transfer case should have been put in neutral before removing the shifting motor.

Is the shifting motor now out of sync with the T-case? Is that causing the pop and 4Low shifting failure? If it is, how do I go about resetting the shifting motor and/or t-case to get them back in Sync?

I was reading that I should be able to turn then shaft on the t-case with a pair of pliers freely. Should we put the truck on the lift and try shifting into the 4Lo position by hand? If that works attach electrical of motor back and see if motor shifts smoothly when not connected to t-case?

I am trying to think of anything that could rule out the shifting fork inside the t-case.

Input, suggestions, comments, help is greatly appreciated.
mtncityboy
New User
New User

Vehicle: 2003 Hummer H2

Postby bkbannon3 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:43 pm

Hey mtnciytboy, have you had a chance to work on your problem and did that fix it. I am getting ready to change mine and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Brian
bkbannon3
New User
New User

Vehicle: 2003 H@ Hummer

Return to H2 Tech