How to remove rust with electricity.

General Tech, Non Vehicle Specific

How to remove rust with electricity.

Postby Rod » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:10 pm

Lots more pics and how-to info here. From the web site:

This is a relatively simple, safe and cheap way to remove light or heavy rust from any ferrous object. I used this process to restore an old wood plane that I bought for $1 (it looked totally un-usable because of the rust). As opposed to grinding, heavy wire brushing and acid bath processes, this method removes none of the original steel and is not noisy or caustic.

How this works:

... basically you set up a conductive solution and insert some sacrificial anodes. You hang your rusted tool in the solution and attach it to the negative end of the power supply. You attach the positive end to the anode and turn on the power. The current travels through the solution and in the process flakes off the rust - the flaking/softening occurs because of the reaction at the surface of the good steel that pushes the rust off.
Attachments
rust-removal.jpg
rust-removal.jpg (55.69 KiB) Viewed 4420 times
Rod
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: '99 HMC4 | '05 SUT

Postby Rod » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:12 pm

And in case you're wondering, this also from the web site:

How big/small of an object can I do?

- My browsing around on the web found people doing anything from small parts in a 1/2 gallon tub to a trailer body in a swimming pool using a large welder for the power.
Rod
Club Member
Club Member

Postby PhilD » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:26 pm

I have one of those auto saver systems that supposedly prohibits rust by using "free electrons". Bogus mumbo jumbo or not, I'm not sure, but it seems to have slowed down the amount my H2 rusts, but it could just be wishful thinking.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Bondage » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:52 pm

I'd have a rust free rig...and like it to be buried with my electrocuted body. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bond. James Bond.
Bondage
Trail Master
Trail Master

Location: SoCal, Rome, Paris, London, Athens, Cairo, Madrid, Caracas, Beruit, Berlin, Moscow & Kingston
Vehicle: BLACK H2

Postby Ric » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:08 am

I tried to convince my Ex that I could remove her finger nail polish in the same fashion (ie. radio in the tub), but she would fall for it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wall:
Ric
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep Unlimited

Postby Bondage » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:12 am

Ric wrote:I tried to convince my Ex that I could remove her finger nail polish in the same fashion (ie. radio in the tub), but she would fall for it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wall:

Tell her the polish will set and last longer if she inserts her nails into an electrical outlet while they're still wet.
:o
Of course, this only works if she's blonde. :lol: :P ;)
Bond. James Bond.
Bondage
Trail Master
Trail Master

Location: SoCal, Rome, Paris, London, Athens, Cairo, Madrid, Caracas, Beruit, Berlin, Moscow & Kingston

Postby Ric » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:15 am

Bondage wrote:
Ric wrote:I tried to convince my Ex that I could remove her finger nail polish in the same fashion (ie. radio in the tub), but she would fall for it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wall:

Tell her the polish will set and last longer if she inserts her nails into an electrical outlet while they're still wet.

I need more juice that an a residential outlet...
Need a visit to a local power plant! :yup:
Ric
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep Unlimited

Postby Bondage » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:17 am

Ric wrote:
Bondage wrote:

I need more juice that an a residential outlet...
Need a visit to a local power plant! :yup:

Wow....seriously tough ex, huh? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bond. James Bond.
Bondage
Trail Master
Trail Master

Postby 31_bandits » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:20 pm

that seems kind of complicated.

I do have some rust problems on my H2, i fear. The entire bottom of the frame (uniformly, everywhere) is very, very rusty i noticed today when taking pictures of my clearance. I guess the undercoating got ground off. It seems pretty bad, but i don't have any frame of reference.

I guess i was planning on just steel wooling it off and spray painting it, repeat once ina while. which seems like alot of PITA.

The next H2 needs an aluminum frame to shave 500 lbs and prevent this. charge 2 grand more for the truck.
I was originally born very good looking, extremely intelligent, and with immense atheltic prowess. It was later that i became inbred, and how it happened is till being studied.
H3s are still coller than JKs
31_bandits
Club Member
Club Member

Postby PhilD » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:46 pm

Here's some of my early attempts to deal with rust;

http://hummerxclub.com/tech/rust.html

Unfortunately, after just about every off-road trip, I end up with plenty of exposed steel again, so just spray it with Rustoleum Rust Convertor, followed by Westley's Under Body Coating. The Westley's stuff goes on pretty ugly and thick, but it's the best thing I've found and generally works very well.

I used Waxoyl, a self sealing underbody protector, on my H1, but as it never dries, it makes it real messy when you have to work on the truck.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Rod » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:50 pm

31_bandits wrote:I do have some rust problems on my H2, i fear.

Same here and it's been that way since I took delivery from the dealer. And I live in the desert.

Rust is a common problem with the H2. Ever look under/inside your dash? :o
Rod
Club Member
Club Member

Postby 31_bandits » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:54 pm

Rod wrote:
31_bandits wrote:I do have some rust problems on my H2, i fear.

Same here and it's been that way since I took delivery from the dealer. And I live in the desert.

Rust is a common problem with the H2. Ever look under/inside your dash? :o

I was going to take the interior apart one of these days for some rattle prevention. I'll remember your warning and just not bother to get upset if its all rusty in there. :D

I'll try to take some pictures of my rust, but i have a really crappy digicam. The front of the diff is toast, the backside of it looks fine, and the bottom of all the frame rails is just red, which is kind of un-nerving, i guess.

oh well, it probably would take years (?) for rust on a frame to amount to anything of structural significance, if it ever could.
I was originally born very good looking, extremely intelligent, and with immense atheltic prowess. It was later that i became inbred, and how it happened is till being studied.
H3s are still coller than JKs
31_bandits
Club Member
Club Member

Postby PhilD » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:34 am

Rod wrote:Rust is a common problem with the H2. Ever look under/inside your dash? :o
I suspect in 10 years or so time, H2's will be known for their rust.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Re: How to remove rust with electricity.

Postby KTM640Dakar » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:04 am

Wipe or spray the undercarrage with kerosene/oil. I have used 10w30 and a paint brush and it lasts about a year.
KTM640Dakar
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2008 H2 Hummer

Return to General Tech