Windshield

General Tech, Non Vehicle Specific

Windshield

Postby USVibrant » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:49 am

Rocks keep hitting the windshield, three times thus so far, chipping, and even caused one of the three chips to crack, shorter than a dollar bill. I have visited the glass shop two times in the last couple of months to have them filled.

Rocks like Kashmir :wall: Soley because he is a Hummer with a straight up and down windshield. Never had this problem before with curved windshields-rocks must have more of impact for this reason; the design of the windshield. Just curious if rocks like your Hummer's windshield too or if I am just raising my arm again for more problems. :wall: :duh:
Real Women Drive Hummers and This One, once upon a time, Owned Her Own. Now she is just the black Jeep of the Hummer Family going topless and becoming way too dirty. (No Recovery Needed)

I would rather be found camping & off-roading than to be found at home
USVibrant
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Darkside-07 Wrangler Jeep

Re: Windshield

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:28 pm

It's not uncommon on Hummers and if I recall correct those that I know who have had the most windshields replaced on their Hummers also live in the Denver area.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby djinco » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:32 am

Without stating the obvious, the broken windshields are directly related to the proximity of the vehicle in front of you.

My windshield has 134K miles and a lot of pits. No cracks; waiting for the "big one" to garner a replacement.
Cheers, Doug
Colorado Springs

I am sorry that everyone cannot have a Hummer, some folks must drive a Jeep or a Toyota.
djinco
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: H3

Postby USVibrant » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:52 am

Mark wrote:It's not uncommon on Hummers and if I recall correct those that I know who have had the most windshields replaced on their Hummers also live in the Denver area.

The glass repairmen, who sealed my most recent chip (guess I will wait unit I am pivoted out by chips, then replace the windshield), mentioned, the design of the windshield allows no type of buffer (because of the flat design) for the hit of a rock, unlike other windshields. He did tell me he repairs more chips/cracks on Hummers than other vehicles.

:o :lol: "I know who have had the most windshields replaced on their Hummers also live in the Denver area." Ummm...., the reason must be, because of the implants bringing in the rocks or as the saying goes, everything flows downhill.

Mark, do not ever worry, if you moved here-I would not consider you bringing in the rocks and you will be coming up hill. You are one implant I would welcome with much ENTHUSIASM. There you have it! :)
Real Women Drive Hummers and This One, once upon a time, Owned Her Own. Now she is just the black Jeep of the Hummer Family going topless and becoming way too dirty. (No Recovery Needed)

USVibrant
Club Member
Club Member

Postby USVibrant » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:13 am

djinco wrote:Without stating the obvious, the broken windshields are directly related to the proximity of the vehicle in front of you.

My windshield has 134K miles and a lot of pits. No cracks; waiting for the "big one" to garner a replacement.

Really? My first chip occurred at a stand still on I-70, traffic stopped in both directions. Perhaps someone shot a high powered BB gun, I do not know-I heard it, and whatever it was left a chip about the size of the tip of a pinkie finger.

I always travel a great distance from the vehicle in front of me, because of flying rocks and possibly a darn happy bracker in front of me (Meaning, brake happy clown), but Kashmir windshield still takes abuse, so different from any vehicle I have driven. Never dealt with so many chips. In fact, I have never dealt with any chip on another vehicle-rocks yes, but no chips.

Oh well, I do not care really-chips, replacement of a windshield are just a small thing, which everything in life to me is small, just depends on how big I want to make it-and I guess I made Kashmir's windshield somewhat 'big' because I started a thread on 'Windshield.' :lol: :evil: :wall:

Bye Guy's, I go to go............the mountains are calling me!

USVibrant
Club Member
Club Member

Postby The Other Rob » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:32 pm

I've had a couple of chips repaired.. Twice from rocks hitting while on the trail.. I was in the lead and the only rig moving at the time.. Climbing a hill, deep ruts, good bit of spinning.. Rocks fly all over the place..

FWIW, I've heard Toyota FJ owners have worse problems with it than we do..
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob
Chapter President - MidSouth
Chapter President - MidSouth

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Postby Mark » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:21 pm

djinco wrote:Without stating the obvious, the broken windshields are directly related to the proximity of the vehicle in front of you.

Guess that's why I don't have chips, drafting doesn't allow rocks to fly up ;) :lol:
Mark

Postby wpage » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:29 pm

My windshield has been cracking for years from the bottom up...

It going to be time to replace it soon. Sucks.
"You will receive power"
Acts 1:8
W
wpage
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby USVibrant » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:49 pm

wpage wrote:My windshield has been cracking for years from the bottom up...

It going to be time to replace it soon. Sucks.

That does suck wpage, but at least you got years out of it-right. How does a windshield crack from the bottom up :duh:-weird. Mine have always started from the top down or by a bungee cord strap on D-Day (divorce day) that broke, causing my hood to fly up and shatter (crackes everywhere) my whole windshield (not my Hummer), now that sucked!

USVibrant
Club Member
Club Member

Postby wpage » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:01 pm

Yes, the windshield being oriented almost vertical is subject to forces...

As long as it passes inspection. Good enough for me!
"You will receive power"
W
wpage
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby Twisted Transistor » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:16 am

wpage wrote:Yes, the windshield being oriented almost vertical is subject to forces...

As long as it passes inspection. Good enough for me!

I ditto that wpage! Even though my Hummer's windshield took abuse, I am grateful my Jeep has the same type of windsheild. There is an advantage, I noticed recently, when the weather turned to snow, while most had to brush off their windshield I did not. The angle of it saved me from doing so....... :)

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "You hit like a b*tch."
Twisted Transistor
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2007 Jeep Wrangler

Postby wpage » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:00 am

Just replaced my windshield my 06 had many cracks from extreme weather and hits...
What was interesting was the variety of price outs for replacements. From $225 to $550. All for the same ansi approved glass. The one chosen was the low end and they even came to the house and did it in my driveway.
Very nice!
"You will receive power"
W
wpage
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:04 pm

Surprised there was such a broad range in pricing.
Mark

Postby H3_Gal » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:29 pm

Well, I was going to post a topic about my windshield, but I guess it has already been discussed. :lol:

I travel a lot and I'm on interstates for the most part. I've had the windshield guy repair small chips from rocks....probably 7-8 times in the past 6 years. I've NEVER had this many chips in a windshield in other vehicles I've owned. He said he gets a lot of business from Hummer owners.

My issue is that I had a chip in the VERY top corner (driver's side) of my windshield but had no idea it was there....until it started cracking and running down! I called my windshield guy but he said if it's already spread 3 inches, he can't do anything.

Have any of y'all tried anything to stop the crack or at least slow it down? I don't want it to come down in front of my face and that's exactly where it's heading. I also don't want to replace the entire windshield because I know I'll just get more chips in it. :cry: HELP!
H3_Gal
New User
New User

Vehicle: 2007 Hummer H3

Postby Mark » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:52 am

Don't believe there is anything you can do to stop it at this point. Not sure about TN but in FL if the windshield is cracked your insurance has to replace it for free, no deductible and it can't affect your rates.
Mark

Return to General Tech