H3 Sunroof Drain Tubes

General Tech, Non Vehicle Specific

Re: H3 Sunroof Drain Tubes

Postby Robo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:31 pm

Seth wrote:Sunroofs are horrible and something almost almost always goes wrong with them. If they aren't leaking, then the moter is dying or the track is binding. I'll never buy a car with a sunroof if I can help it.

No, you just bought a rig where the entire frelling roof comes off and leaks.

:P :P

:lol:
The Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights guarantees our Freedom and our Rights. They do not protect them.
Protect your Freedom. Protect your Rights.

http://www.nraila.org
Robo
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Catch and release H3

Postby Slogger » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:21 pm

Seth wrote:Sunroofs are horrible and something almost almost always goes wrong with them. If they aren't leaking, then the moter is dying or the track is binding. I'll never buy a car with a sunroof if I can help it.

Everyone has their opinion. :P

I had one in my '80 RX7 back in high school, (Hand cranked vent and the kind you'd actually have to remove a part of the roof for it to be a sun roof), and one in my '82 Honda Prelude. No leaks or problems on either one. My '94 Pathfinder didn't have one and that sucked so when I bought my H3, it had to have a sunroof. I bought it new in 2006 and have had no problems what-so-ever with my sunroof even with my son opening and closing it over and over. It was one of the first buttons he saw that he liked to push when he plays in the car. (He's almost 3 now.)

Maybe I'm a lucky one but it was definitely a selling point for me and has worked flawlessly. Knock on wood :where:.

My wife had a convertible Sebring that leaked like a sieve. When we went to look for a new car for her, at the time she still wanted a convertible. The salesman, not having a 'true' convertible pointed us to a Jeep. He's point, "It's a convertible, it leaks like one..." :lol: :lol:
Simply,
Slogger

http://www.adventureslogger.com
http://www.counterpointphotography.com

2006 H3 Boulder Gray - Adventure / Lux
Add-ons (So Far): •OEM Brush Guards •Thule Roof-Rack •Rola Safari Rack •285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts
Slogger
Club Director
Club Director

Vehicle: H3 - Adventure/LUX

Postby upholstryguy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:40 pm

Speaking as a sunroof installer, I would never have one on my vehicle either.

Actually, installing them is not that bad.. It's having to fix them when thing go wrong that
can be a nightmare.

Lot's of folks really love them.. The overwhelming majority of them are generally pretty
reliable.

But it's the ones that give us problems that we hear about the most. This generally gives all sunroofs a bad wrap.

I've had to fix enough of them to know that, not installing one on my vehicle may save me alot of headaches down the road.

Upholstryguy
upholstryguy
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: Hummer H1 1999

Postby Bayrat » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:13 pm

Slogger wrote:

Everyone has their opinion. :P

I had one in my '80 RX7 back in high school, (Hand cranked vent and the kind you'd actually have to remove a part of the roof for it to be a sun roof), and one in my '82 Honda Prelude. No leaks or problems on either one. My '94 Pathfinder didn't have one and that sucked so when I bought my H3, it had to have a sunroof. I bought it new in 2006 and have had no problems what-so-ever with my sunroof even with my son opening and closing it over and over. It was one of the first buttons he saw that he liked to push when he plays in the car. (He's almost 3 now.)

Maybe I'm a lucky one but it was definitely a selling point for me and has worked flawlessly. Knock on wood :where:.

My wife had a convertible Sebring that leaked like a sieve. When we went to look for a new car for her, at the time she still wanted a convertible. The salesman, not having a 'true' convertible pointed us to a Jeep. He's point, "It's a convertible, it leaks like one..." :lol: :lol:

You had to remind me of my Jeep water leaks huh :lol:
Bayrat
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: H3 Championship

Postby rjohnson67 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:41 pm

silicone should work well. A little dab'll do ya :D
rjohnson67
New User
New User

Vehicle: 2006 H2

Postby cuzzndon » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:13 pm

Ok I am pretty sure that I am having problems with the drain tubes. I was getting water in the onstar mic. i blew it out with air and followed with a piece of weedeater line. I believe I fixed the problem but I now am getting water on the floorboard. Its seems to be coming from around the emergency brake under the dash. I can't find a hose. Someone help please.
cuzzndon
New User
New User

Vehicle: hummer h3

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:28 am

Do a search in the H3 Tech section, I believe some diagrams were posted not long ago about this. If you are still under warranty take it to the dealership and make them take care of it. There is a mod that they do which helps.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby Bayrat » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:58 pm

This may sound simplistic but while looking for the source of water on my passenger floor mat I found the A/C condensate drain at about two o'clock rather than six o'clock. For some reason it only leaked during a heavy rain but once I twisted it back to straight down the leak stopped. Made me wonder if that drain tube also took care of water coming in from the intake ducts. My roof drains were not plugged.
Bayrat
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: H3 Championship

Postby dweaddy2 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:37 pm

There are no drain tubes in the side toekick area of the 2007 H3.

Driver side drain tube exits through the firewall almost behind the tachometer (accessed by standing on your head :lol: ). The passenger side is back behind the AC vent (accessed through side panel)

Thanks for the help guys, I saved a bunch of money by cleaning out the tubes myself. Not that hard once you know where to look.

Driver side:
Image Nothing here.

Passenger side:

dweaddy2
New User
New User

Vehicle: 2007 H3

Postby Mark » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:36 pm

dweaddy2 wrote:There are no drain tubes in the side toekick area of the 2007 H3.

Driver side drain tube exits through the firewall almost behind the tachometer (accessed by standing on your head :lol: ). The passenger side is back behind the AC vent (accessed through side panel)

Thanks for the help guys, I saved a bunch of money by cleaning out the tubes myself. Not that hard once you know where to look.

Nice pics and writeup, thanks for posting 8)
Mark

Postby f5fstop » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:00 pm

Good photos and for some added information for those who want (need) to work on the hoses. If I may add....
For hose replacement or removal/install - FRONT
1. Remove the front garnish moldings. (One screw under the cover and then it pops off...this is the A-pillar molding and has the little tweeter in it.)

2. It is only necessary to lower the headliner enough in the front to dain access to part. This will probably entail removing the sun visor and clips.

3. Remove the front wheel opening flare.

Item 1 - retainers
Item 2 - grommet
Item 3 - hose

For hose replacement or removal/install - REAR

1. Remove the upper quarter trim. (That's the trim around the rear cargo area side windows...a few screws/bolts and just pull it out.)
2. Remove the left lower quarter trim. (That's the lower trim. Remove the sill plate and the seat belt.)
3. It is only necessary to lower the headliner.

Item 1 - retainers
Item 2 - grommet
Item 3 - hose
GONE FROM THE HUMMER WORLD!
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2016 Sierra Z714x4 CC SLT

Postby Lyn-X » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:00 pm

Thanks for the info. My H3 was full of water this morning. drivers side is unclogged and reamed now. Many, Many Thanks ! Lynn :D
'06 H3 Adventure-Brush Guard-PCM-Roof Rack-285 Falken Wild Peak A/T-minimal bling.
Lyn-X
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: H3 Adventure

Postby 6pack » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:12 pm

My sunroof drains keep leaking. I've run mechanics wire down from the top a couple of times. Now I'm trying to find the drains where they hit the firewall and I'm having no luck. On the passenger side, I've pulled the A-pillar trim and the side trim at the glove box. I see the black drain tube coming down the pillar, and it plugs into a clear-ish tube that disappears into the dash. Anyone know where it comes out of the firewall?
2007 H3 5 spd, Adv/Lux, Eaton TVS 1320 supercharger, Rebuilt engine w/forged pistons, Custom exhaust, Long tube header, Custom tune, 200 Amp alternator, E-fan, Custom CAI, Coil pack mod, Ron Davis radiator, ARB torsion bars, Outfitter Design X-member bushings steering rack mounts and tie rods, Samco shackles, Fox shocks, Trail Duty bump stops, Rocky Road sliders w/Line-X, Tomp rear shock skids, 35" BFG AT tires w/Tactical Rims, Gobi Stealth Rack w/ladder, shovel/axe and Hi-Lift mount
6pack
Club Director
Club Director

Vehicle: 2007 H3

Postby Mark » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:31 pm

Shoot me an email reminder and I can send you a PDF I have that should be of some help.
Mark

Previous

Return to General Tech