Check Engine Light

H3 Specific Information

Re: Check Engine Light

Postby Hunner » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:37 am

I was just picturing one cylinder sucking air or blow by and causing a lean burn :where:
You can do like my 82 year old Dad did on his Crown Vic, just put black tape over the display!! Just a note I called about the headers right after you did that and they do come with the second sensor hole, now.
BUT I solved that problem, now I would have to have two headers! I don't think Im going there, yet...............
Happy Alpha Dawg Hunner
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7790
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: Like Nothing Else

Postby trailerpup » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:27 pm

Yeah, I would think that if it had an exhaust leak the 02 would pick up on it and declare a lean condition. I have to go check the boards. As it seems that Hunner has stepped up to the Alpha? I'm off to search!!!
trailerpup
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: '10 Alpha H3

Postby SoCalH3Alpha » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:15 pm

Well I had the same problem and the first time around the mass airflow sensor needed to be replaced, which as about a year ago. To weeks ago the check engine light came on and the told me it was the emissions system and just needed to be reset. They reset it and it was fine for a week. It came on last night so I took it in this morning and they tell me it needs a new catalytic converter. They don't have it in stock and it will take a week to get it. Not happy.
SoCalH3Alpha
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: H3 Alpha Adventure

Postby wpage » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:24 am

Get a scangauge II and kill those codes.
"You will receive power"
Acts 1:8
W
wpage
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: H3

Postby tommygunner » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:07 pm

I chased a lean bank code around for some time on my Yukon. It finally was tracked down to a restrictive dirty air filter. I have a habit of cleaning the filter with compressed air and it looked clean[i][/i]but it was restricting the air enough to set a code. The Yukons have a neat little indicator on the air box that changes color when the filter becomes dirty (that I was unaware of) that will tell you when the filter is getting to be a little too restrictive.
tommygunner
New User
New User

Vehicle: 06H3

Postby HawaiianH3 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:25 am

Changed my spark plugs last night (created a how to post on it) and today I got a check engine light. After gettin home tonight and running a diagnostic with my OBD II scanner it revealed a P0171 System To Lean (Bank 1), Big Props ROBO on your tech data!!! 8)
So perhaps I have a lose vacum hose? Thats better than hearing I have the 06 Head Curse! Either way its nice that I can isolate this to occurring after the plugs were changed, so then something changed at that point!!!!

Also found this to be helpfull!
This information applies to the 2004-06 Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon and 2006 Hummer H3.

On rare occasions, a SES light may be experienced with a P0171 and no engine performance concerns. Low MAF sensor grams and excessive long term fuel trim may be noted at a hot idle.

If the SI diagnostics do not isolate a concern, the following information may help.

1. Inspect the AIR intake system for rolled connections, cracks, or loose clamps between the MAF sensor and throttle body and repair.

2. If the long term fuel trim is consistently over 10% during an extended hot idle, temporarily plug the PCV vacuum pipe at the left rear of the cam cover, reset the fuel trims and note the long term fuel trim again after an extended hot idle.

If the fuel trim stays below 10%, the PCV system may be drawing in un-metered fresh air through:

- the cam cover

- air intake snorkel

- air cleaner resonator

- PCV dirty air hose rubber connector

- PCV fresh air hose

Inspect all of these areas for concern and repair as necessary.

3. If this concern was not present before the air cleaner resonator (on top of the cam cover) was removed during recent repairs, the PCV fresh air hose may not be fully seated to the tube on the right rear of cam cover or to the air cleaner resonator.

If this concern was not present before the cam cover was removed for internal engine repairs and there is no problem found on step 2, there may be a cam cover or cam cover gasket concern.

4. If the long term fuel trim stays above 10% with the PCV vacuum pipe plugged, temporarily remove the air filter element, reset the fuel trims and evaluate the fuel trim after an extended hot idle. If the fuel trim remains around 0% with the air filter element removed, there is an issue with the air filter that is causing lower than normal MAF readings. Replace the air filter and evaluate the concern.

5. If none of the above helps, inspect the throttle body gasket. If it is mispositioned, it may cause an intermittent vacuum leak.

TIP:Â Any of the above items can cause unmetered air to enter the engine, resulting in a lean concern and a P0171 DTC.

- Thanks to Jamie Parkhurst
2006 Red H3 Base w/Chrome & sunroof. 54k miles! Upgrades: Front tint, mud flaps, roof racks, custom rear tire cover, Poly cross-member bushing replacement (still strategizing). Soon to come: Clear corner lights, brush guard, front level w/Bliestien shocks and bump stops. PCMpluss computer upgrade
HawaiianH3
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2006 H3

Postby Major Tom » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:17 pm

just got back from the dealer this morning,same code. Cracked vacum line
Major Tom
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby HawaiianH3 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:52 pm

I have a feeling thats what went wrong when I did my spark plug change. Hey Major did they tell you which vacuum line it was? Took a look under the hood early this am before the wife left but didnt have time to narrow it down. Thanks
2006 Red H3 Base w/Chrome & sunroof. 54k miles! Upgrades: Front tint, mud flaps, roof racks, custom rear tire cover, Poly cross-member bushing replacement (still strategizing). Soon to come: Clear corner lights, brush guard, front level w/Bliestien shocks and bump stops. PCMpluss computer upgrade
HawaiianH3
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby Major Tom » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:28 am

no, I should have asked. I will see if I can see a new looking line under the hood
Major Tom
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby Major Tom » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:47 pm

I took a look under te hood and what they actually replaced was the breather hose that connects from my cold air intake to the top of the engine
Major Tom
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby ccbon » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:27 am

This place is full of great info! A couple of weeks ago on my way home from Big Bear my check engine light came on.I got to the bottom of the hill stopped at the market all was good. On my way out I gassed it kind of good and the check engine light came on. It is amazing how one little light can change your whole mood. I adjusted my seat, the steering wheel so I wouldn't see it. But I knew it was there.The whole time I was wondering what I did to my rig. Every thing seemed normal. Thinking maybe since I just went from thin air to normal air and I changed from the K&N to the paper and back to the K&N filter that maybe some censor was trying to figure out whats going on and it would fix its self. All the way home light on. The next day light on. loosing hope. Day three light off. Happy! Light still off. Knock on wood :) THANKS again for all the great info!
72 Chevelle station wagon
72 Honda Z600 coupe
05 Nacra 4.5
09 H3 - ARB,Bilstein,BFG,DeFelice,FireStick,Garmin,GM under carriage & sliders,Gobi,HalGuard,Hi-Lift,Hunner,KM2,K & N,Midland,Optima,PIAA,Pro Comp,Purple Cranium,Rust-Oleum,Thule,Viair,Warn,Wyeth Scott,and Super Z by scc
ccbon
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 09 H3

Postby HawaiianH3 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:58 pm

Glad to hear it worked out ccbon!!! :D

As for my situation, just wanted to update you folks that it was an error on my part. I forgot to re-connect the breather hose that goes from the valve cover to the intake box. Its kinda tricky because the hose is directly under the box. My thread on "06 spark plug change" shows pictures of the whole deal. H3 Runns like brand new again!!! Smooth baby smooth I tell ya!! :evil:
HawaiianH3
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

TRACTION FAILED/ LOSS OF POWER

Postby johnlu69 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:22 am

I just got my H3 out of the dealership, i had the traction failed/ power loss on display, they said that codes P0455,P0420,P0689,P0014 HAD Been Found after the Diagnosed it. so they replaced the Trans Control Module, now they say i need Cat Converter Internal Damaged also Steering Wheel Position Sensor Needed too. but dont have enough for those other two yet, have to wait till next mo. the Tcm ran me about $600 for part and labor, @ Freedom Chev. but it was good for a day or so now its running so rough i dont even want to drive it afraid to mess it up more. so now i got it parked. and its my granddaughter bday today. i couldnt even get her a present, trying to get the truck to run to get to her bday atleast. but i cleaned the Oxygen Sensor, and sprayed the elect lines, redid the fuses, and unhook the battery, but still the same can anyone give me some help. Grandpa tryiing to get to a bday party today. thanks Hooorah :wall:
johnlu69
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 08 HUMMER H3

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:47 pm

Sorry I didn't see this earlier and sorry for your luck with the truck. Don't have a suggestion on the fix but is the check engine light back on? Did they clear all the codes and it was off when you left the dealership?

Just in case you don't have the info here are what the codes refer to.

P0014 Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance
P0420 Catalyst System Low Efficiency
P0455 Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) System Large Leak
P0689 Don't have anything on this code but from what I can find might also be related to P0455

None of the codes I have any info on have anything to do with the steering wheel position sensor. Unless it's P0689 then not sure why they are telling you that. On the P0455 code it could possibly be your fuel cap. If not it's probably a leak in one of the lines in the evap system which is under the truck just ahead of the rear bumper. Not sure if that would cause it to run that rough or not, don't recall anybody with bad fuel caps before running that rough. Good luck and hope this helps some.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Previous

Return to H3 Tech