5th wheel trailer (gooseneck) is it possible to install

H1 (Hummer) & HMMWV Specific Information

5th wheel trailer (gooseneck) is it possible to install

Postby sta11ion » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:11 am

I wanted to buy 2000 and up softop but I wanted to know if anyone installed in the bed a 5 wheel trailer. I was wondering if I did have to do it would it work. I would just upgrade the springs to push the payload from 3300 to about 4300 also what would get in the way in the back . I will modify the engine with a predator ecm upgrade or a bully dog. Upgrade the headers and intercooler and get that kit for 7 and 8 piston for overheating. I believe the tranny should hold If not take it out and put in a allison or upgraded the original. Any suggestion anyone seen or heard of this being done. Thanks
sta11ion
New User
New User

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:52 am

Sorry can't answer your questions myself, but welcome. I am sure that somebody will be along that can answer them though.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby Bondage » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:22 am

GOOD QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've always wondered this myself because of the horse trailering we do. Where are out H1 gurus? :lol: :where:
Bond. James Bond.
Bondage
Trail Master
Trail Master

Location: SoCal, Rome, Paris, London, Athens, Cairo, Madrid, Caracas, Beruit, Berlin, Moscow & Kingston
Vehicle: BLACK H2

Postby Rich » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:30 am

Well I know it's problematic in even a short bed truck - i.e. you need a sliding hitch. My guess would be that it would be nearly impossible. The problem is not the towing capacity of the H1 - it's the clearance between the 5th wheel and the cab of the rig.
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich
Chapter President - NorCal

Vehicle: 04 HMCS Adv.

Postby Bondage » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:47 am

Rich wrote:Well I know it's problematic in even a short bed truck - i.e. you need a sliding hitch. My guess would be that it would be nearly impossible. The problem is not the towing capacity of the H1 - it's the clearance between the 5th wheel and the cab of the rig.

That's what I thought - but was wondering if anyone has come up with a viable solution.
Bond. James Bond.
Bondage
Trail Master
Trail Master

Location: SoCal, Rome, Paris, London, Athens, Cairo, Madrid, Caracas, Beruit, Berlin, Moscow & Kingston

Postby Rich » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:14 am

Bondage wrote:
Rich wrote:Well I know it's problematic in even a short bed truck - i.e. you need a sliding hitch. My guess would be that it would be nearly impossible. The problem is not the towing capacity of the H1 - it's the clearance between the 5th wheel and the cab of the rig.

That's what I thought - but was wondering if anyone has come up with a viable solution.

Yes, it's called a trailer. :P
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich

Postby Bondage » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:22 am

Rich wrote:
Bondage wrote:

:P :lol:
Bond. James Bond.
Bondage
Trail Master
Trail Master

Postby Sewie » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:43 pm

Rich wrote:
Bondage wrote:

Or the H1 pickup. :yup: ;)
Sewie
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: '74 EB

Postby Andy M » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:50 pm

Bondage wrote:

The bed is just too short. I think there was even an issue with the 2 passenger truck.
Andy M
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 H3 1SC w/ZM6

Postby benallen » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:43 pm

i also wanted to do this, but it is not possible because of the bed and i was told also because of the independent suspension. But even if you were able to, the truck is way to underpowered to pull anything on a gooseneck. The alphas are the only ones with enough power to have a chance. And why are you wanting to use a gooseneck? whats wront with a pull behind or a pintel hitch trailer?
Ben Allen
Texas
2002 H1 yellow OT
m998 project
benallen
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Bondage » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:09 pm

benallen wrote:i also wanted to do this, but it is not possible because of the bed and i was told also because of the independent suspension. But even if you were able to, the truck is way to underpowered to pull anything on a gooseneck. The alphas are the only ones with enough power to have a chance. And why are you wanting to use a gooseneck? whats wront with a pull behind or a pintel hitch trailer?

Three horse trailer with living quarters 8) :yup:
Bond. James Bond.
Bondage
Trail Master
Trail Master

Postby sta11ion » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:54 pm

benallen wrote:i also wanted to do this, but it is not possible because of the bed and i was told also because of the independent suspension. But even if you were able to, the truck is way to underpowered to pull anything on a gooseneck. The alphas are the only ones with enough power to have a chance. And why are you wanting to use a gooseneck? whats wront with a pull behind or a pintel hitch trailer?

The trailer alone is 8000 pounds also I dont think the walls of the bed will interfear here some pics of a truck version with a 5th wheel, as for the power I can fix that and as for the suspension I can always get upgraded springs the frame is a railed so I cant see why not I just would like to know if someone did do this.
Attachments
h1 truck 5th wheel.jpg
h1 truck 5th wheel.jpg (47.6 KiB) Viewed 7860 times
h1 truck inside.jpg
h1 truck inside.jpg (25.9 KiB) Viewed 7859 times
sta11ion
New User
New User

Postby sta11ion » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:58 pm

HummerNewbie wrote:Sorry can't answer your questions myself, but welcome. I am sure that somebody will be along that can answer them though.

As for the cab I had a escalade ext that was able to clear the height of the walls of the bed and thats over 2 and half feet in height
sta11ion
New User
New User

Postby Rich » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:44 pm

it's not the bed I'm concerned about for a open top H1 - it's the front of a fifth wheel camper hitting the back of the passenger area when you are turning. The bed is VERY short.

As for an H1 truck - I can't answer that.
Rich

Postby Rich » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:48 pm

and thinking further - the hitch assembly must be directly over the axle area. My guess is not only could you not turn - you couldn't even get it hooked up without hitting the cab. This is the reason long bed trucks are used to pull 5th wheels.
Rich

Next

Return to H1 Tech