Widow Maker mines, Nevada run/camp

Event Planning for official HXC Events and HXC Members gatherings

Widow Maker mines, Nevada run/camp

Postby no1gtkid » Mon May 01, 2006 9:07 pm

I was talking to our friendly Las Vegas Marshal. He mentioned that it would be a fun trip to DeLamar (The Widow Maker mines).

In light of our conversation, I thought I would start the chat about it.

Who wants to go and when?

Also this trip could be a camp trip or a day run. If time permits after investigating the mines a quick run could be made to Caliente.

I would figure a bite to eat can be made by a dutch oven cook out while there. Unless it is decided other wise.

open to thoughts and ideas.
no1gtkid
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby Rich » Mon May 01, 2006 11:26 pm

delamar is one of the cooler ghost towns I have been to. Literally a city built into the hills. Remnents of a HUGE mill overlooking the city.

If your sight seeing, it's worth the drive, however if it's wheeling your after, this is not your place. I had zero problems making it in my RV towing a trailer full of dirt bikes.

Just an FYI.
Rich
Chapter President - NorCal

Vehicle: 04 HMCS Adv.

Correct!

Postby no1gtkid » Tue May 02, 2006 9:11 am

Correct, Any type of vehicle can drive in from the North end of the city by the newer grave yard. Just a well maintained dirt road. From the south is a little more dificult along the baby head boulders. This will bring you just past the old grave yard.

Over all just a fun place to visit and explorer the old town. Camp out for the night or move on to another location for off roading. This is just a trip for those that are wanting to visit and old town and a drive through the desert. So nothing extreme on this venture.

Going up to one of the main mine does require a bit of ground clearenace or moving of big rocks. Can still make it up in a 4x2 truck. I would not try in a car.
no1gtkid
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby Dave Compson » Tue May 02, 2006 2:48 pm

Im in! Can we do it some time in June? This month is busy for me.
Dave Compson
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Rich » Tue May 02, 2006 3:18 pm

Going up to one of the main mine does require a bit of ground clearenace or moving of big rocks. Can still make it up in a 4x2 truck. I would not try in a car.

Your right, I stand corrected. The last 100 yards is a nice little rock garden. We did that on the bikes and it wasn't a joy even on those.

Camping is really cool just below that. Theres a nice big flat spot thats dirth rather than sand.

Hey, question for ya since you seem to know the area. We had a little bit of a hard time finding delamar. We knew we where in the right vicinity but it's kinda hidden. So we parked the RV and split up on the bikes. My brother found delamar and came back and rounded us up. In the meantime I found a road that was black sand/gravel that eventually turned to dirt. I went about 10 miles down that road before turning around. Ran into a few jeeps and ATV's. Any idea whats back there?
Rich

Postby Rich » Tue May 02, 2006 3:29 pm

A little more info -

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/NV-Delamar.html
Rich

Dates to mines

Postby no1gtkid » Tue May 02, 2006 4:25 pm

Hey Dave,
I am cool with June sometime. You let me know. I have no plans on any weekends in June at all.

As for July I am gone the first week to San Dieago to go scuba dive, boat, fish and get sloshed as well as help my IT staff at a Hackers conference.
:evil:
no1gtkid
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Good Question Rich!!!

Postby no1gtkid » Tue May 02, 2006 4:31 pm

Very good question on where some of the trails lead. I do not know. There are many trails out there around the city Some I want to check out.

I came up through the south end of the Dry Lake bed of Turtle road (not sure of the full or the true correct name) and stopped at the picture rocks north of the lake bed. Played in the dry lake bed for a while.

Once done playing we found our way to the town from the south on a tight rough trail. But not to bad. We headed out Nroth and then back towards the dry lake bed and out through the Rainbow canyon road.
no1gtkid
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Return to Club Events