Big Bear - CANCELLED - Aug 2, 2009

Event Planning for official HXC Events and HXC Members gatherings

Re: Big Bear - Rattlesnake Cyn & Heartbreak Ridge - Aug 2, 2009

Postby dailydriver » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:31 pm

This really sucks and I hate to do this but I unfortunately have to bail. I took my truck into the shop today for some love and they found that the steering box has cracked at the mounting bolts :wall: . So the box is to be taken out and welded to strengthen it. The guess is that it should be done next week. I apologize Seth, I was looking forward to it. Now, between Ronb and myself that is 2 with steering issues. I'm sure we can find another so. cal guy with steering issues and we can have a "steering is important, ABS is not" party.
1998 HMCS
130,000 miles
dailydriver
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 1998 HMCS

Postby Seth » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:04 pm

dailydriver wrote:This really sucks and I hate to do this but I unfortunately have to bail. I took my truck into the shop today for some love and they found that the steering box has cracked at the mounting bolts :wall: . So the box is to be taken out and welded to strengthen it. The guess is that it should be done next week. I apologize Seth, I was looking forward to it. Now, between Ronb and myself that is 2 with steering issues. I'm sure we can find another so. cal guy with steering issues and we can have a "steering is important, ABS is not" party.

No worries. Rig fixes are never fun when they get in the way of a trip. Get that thing up and running and we will head another time.

It looks like I'll have to cancel this trip if no one else is interested in going.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby ronb » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:55 pm

dailydriver wrote:I took my truck into the shop today for some love and they found that the steering box has cracked at the mounting bolts :wall: . So the box is to be taken out and welded to strengthen it.

who's doing working on your truck? I bet you cracked the frame rail, it is fairly common. There are a few kits available (from RubberDuck4x4 and Bluehummer) for frame reinforcement. I added a rock-ram last year and have sent it back for a looksie after Mike Sabbarese suspected problems. He was right, bad valve and a blown seal (no that's not tater-sauce on my lip!).

Good luck with your fix. Sorry about the trip Seth, if the truck gets done in time (unlikely) I'll join you.

rb
97.5 hmco with lots of goodies
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 97.5 hummer

Postby Bellvis » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:23 pm

dailydriver wrote:This really sucks and I hate to do this but I unfortunately have to bail. I took my truck into the shop today for some love and they found that the steering box has cracked at the mounting bolts :wall: . So the box is to be taken out and welded to strengthen it. The guess is that it should be done next week. I apologize Seth, I was looking forward to it. Now, between Ronb and myself that is 2 with steering issues. I'm sure we can find another so. cal guy with steering issues and we can have a "steering is important, ABS is not" party.

Sorry to hear about that DD, here is to a quick fix.
Miss you Rich! Thank's for all the memories!
Bellvis
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: The Boobicon

Postby dailydriver » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:49 pm

ronb wrote:
dailydriver wrote:I took my truck into the shop today for some love and they found that the steering box has cracked at the mounting bolts :wall: . So the box is to be taken out and welded to strengthen it.

who's doing working on your truck? I bet you cracked the frame rail, it is fairly common. There are a few kits available (from RubberDuck4x4 and Bluehummer) for frame reinforcement. I added a rock-ram last year and have sent it back for a looksie after Mike Sabbarese suspected problems. He was right, bad valve and a blown seal (no that's not tater-sauce on my lip!).

Good luck with your fix. Sorry about the trip Seth, if the truck gets done in time (unlikely) I'll join you.

rb

It is at Tustin Hummer with Mike. I dropped it off this morning and got a call back from Dave Miller the service consultant around noon. I could tell he was busy with customers in his booth so I didn't keep him on the phone longer than needed. I just know something is cracked around the steering box and that is a weak spot on the H1's. I trust Mike and Tustin Hummer to do the right thing. They have never done me wrong. 8) I may send Mike a PM tomorrow to see how its going. I'll find out exactly from him what's going on and pass it on to the group.
1998 HMCS
130,000 miles
dailydriver
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby Seth » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:36 pm

I am confirming that this run is officially canceled. We will reschedule for this fall when hopefully more people will be able to join.
Seth

Re: Big Bear - CANCELLED - Aug 2, 2009

Postby Jeff_H3 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:53 pm

July and Aug is tough for me.

September, October are definantly better.

Hopefully we can get more interest in Sept or Oct before its gets too cold up there.
Jeff_H3
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 2007 H3

Re: Big Bear - CANCELLED - Aug 2, 2009

Postby Seth » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:45 pm

Jeff_H3 wrote:July and Aug is tough for me.

September, October are definantly better.

Hopefully we can get more interest in Sept or Oct before its gets too cold up there.

The good news is that it doesn't start to get real cold or start snowing until December.
Seth

Postby dailydriver » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:36 am

ronb wrote:

rb

Ron, you guessed it. A cracked frame rail. Mike said he is going to fix it the same way he did his race truck. He has had it that way for 5 years and no problems.
1998 HMCS
130,000 miles
dailydriver
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby Rich » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:53 am

dailydriver wrote:Ron, you guessed it. A cracked frame rail. Mike said he is going to fix it the same way he did his race truck. He has had it that way for 5 years and no problems.

I'd have him install a rock ram while he's in there. 8)
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich
Chapter President - NorCal
Chapter President - NorCal

Vehicle: 04 HMCS Adv.

Postby ronb » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:03 am

Rich wrote:
dailydriver wrote:Ron, you guessed it. A cracked frame rail. Mike said he is going to fix it the same way he did his race truck. He has had it that way for 5 years and no problems.

Mike will sell him on the Howe racing steering -- a little bit more $$ than the AGR system, but local to SoCal and a more reliable system -- I might go this route if I were to do it again (my steering gear is back at AGR in TX getting some fixes :( ). Bummer.

rb
97.5 hmco with lots of goodies
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 97.5 hummer

Postby dailydriver » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:38 am

ronb wrote:
Rich wrote:

Mike will sell him on the Howe racing steering -- a little bit more $$ than the AGR system, but local to SoCal and a more reliable system -- I might go this route if I were to do it again (my steering gear is back at AGR in TX getting some fixes :( ). Bummer.

rb

That sounds like a great idea. I did some thinking. We'll use my truck as the HXC guinea pig. Ron and Rich can split the cost of installing the system. We'll convince Howe to be a HXC sponsor giving a discount to the members. Everyone wins! :lol:
1998 HMCS
130,000 miles
dailydriver
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Previous

Return to Club Events